Thursday, June 28, 2012

Bears, Bells, and Maple Syrup

It has been a crazy 3 weeks.  Since arriving in the States June 6th, I have been a busy little bee, pulling everything together for our wedding.  I knew living in Russia was going to make wedding planning difficult, but nothing could have prepared me for the marathon finale.  But, no need to dwell, everything is DONE! :)  My deadline was today, June 28th because I board a plane for Canada!  Not to mention, now I can think about my birthday!  This will be my first birthday celebration in a foreign country, which also coincides with my first visit to Canada.  

Ryan has been in Calgary for business, and I will join him today, for a long weekend.  Friday afternoon we will depart from Calgary and travel to Lake Louise, which I am told is an incredibly BEAUTIFUL location.   I have never been before, and I am looking forward to our adventures.  You may wonder the reason for the post's title.  I have high hopes of encountering (in a friendly, not too close interaction) a bear, and consuming an ample amount of maple syrup (I know, stereotypical).  Bells?  I was once given some advice, from an Alaskan woman, that if you are ever hiking, you should wear bells, so the bear hears you, and you do not startle them.  I am sure the bells would be no comparison to the blood-curdling scream that would come from me.  I have never tested this advice, but what is the harm?  The least it could provide is a funny memory.  My recent purchase of bells at Hobby Lobby made for an interesting check out experience.  The cashier was shocked when she commented that it was a bit early for Christmas decorations, and I responded that the bells were not for Christmas, but for bears.

I must finish packing.  The task has proven itself difficult considering I didn't bring many warm clothes to the States, and Calgary is averaging a high in the 60s/70s (cool by my standards) and lows in the 40s/50s (freezing by my standards).  It's ok if I suffer a chill, because Sunday we leave Calgary for the lovely, sunny, warm, HOUSTON!

I am excited to visit our great northern, neighbor!

Ryan is planning a hike on Saturday, and I am ready.  My new camera, camera bag, and BELLS. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment