Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Switzerland

The first week of 2013 was spent in Switzerland.  Three guys, one lady, a ton of snow gear, we were ready to see what Switzerland had to offer.  After ringing in the New Year in Geneva, we set out January 1st on a couple hour road trip along Lake Geneva to Crans-Montana, Switzerland (click on Switzerland to view our photo album).

Full car. 

The weather was cloudy and drizzly during the drive, but Lake Geneva. 
Ryan enjoyed spending as much time as possible on the mountains, looking for new snowboarding areas, and enjoying everything Switzerland had to offer.  Last year, while in Utah, I tried my hand at snowboarding.  Ryan said I did a good job, but I felt it really wasn't my calling.  This year, I gave skiing a try, even though Ryan claims he can't be married to a skier.  No worries, love, I am neither a snowboarder or skier, I just really am not a snow sport fan.  Skiing went better than snowboarding, but still not my calling.  I have decided that if we were to live somewhere where skiing/snowboarding is a major hobby, then I would be more willing to give it a try.  

Ryan's snowboard.


I traded in the skis, and decided to venture out on the hiking paths, even tried snowshoeing one day.  The nice thing about the resorts we visited was that there are many people there that are hiking, snowshoeing, cross country skiing, so there are plenty of paths to take.  So while the guys set off one way, I chose the calmer, slower path.  



On our last day before driving back to Geneva, I think I may have found my true calling in snow sports, tobogganing.  I had read a nearby resort had an incredible toboggan path, 6km long!  I expected a really big hill, but this was an actual ski path, including sharp turns, steep slopes, mountain on your right, drop off on our left.  You simply buy your pass, rent your toboggan, then you ride the gondola up.  No instructions, courses, or waivers to sign.  I remember riding the gondola up the first time, and seeing a woman fly underneath, along the path.  She was screaming and laughing the whole way, I said to Ryan, "looks like she's having fun."  Little did I know, I would be that same woman.  I screamed, laughed (occasionally snorted) the whole way, about 35 minutes to reach the bottom.  On my first run, I hadn't perfected my steering and I flew off the path, luckily it was during a flatter portion, and a large drift of snow "caught me."  My second run, steering was much better, which resulted in me going a lot faster.  My laughing got the best of me, I forgot to turn, no worries though, a wall of snow "caught me" this time.  I think that collision ended with me saying, "that's going to leave a mark."  Tobogganing, or as I like to refer to it as extreme sledding was the perfect ending to our vacation.  





Switzerland was absolutely beautiful, a winter wonderland experience.  We were surrounded by breathtaking views, and sparkling snow.    Our Swiss chalet lodging was perfect.  The chocolate, ice cream, and hot chocolate consumed made my tummy very happy.  Also, the fondue dinner experiences, and Swiss wine were delicious, and pleasant additions.


I would like to add this little bit to the end.  During our flight from Moscow to Geneva, I was flipping through the flight magazine.  I came upon an interview with a travel agency owner, one of the questions they asked him was, "When you take vacations with your family, where do you enjoy going?"  His response, "My wife has a rule, vacations should require minimal clothing, simply a bathing suit and flip flops.  Therefore, we tend to visit warm, sunny destinations."  I leaned over, smacked Ryan with the magazine, and told him to read the man's answer.  Ryan giggled, and said it sounded like me.  

Switzerland was an excellent way to welcome 2013, let's see what the rest of 2013 has to offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment