Wednesday, February 15, 2012

New Year, New Recipes

Tonight is my final night.  Tomorrow, I board a plane, and return to Russia.  I can't say I am completely excited.  I am very excited to see Ryan, I am excited to see friends in Russia, and I am excited to continue our Russian adventure, but I am not excited to leave family and friends here, or Macy.  The 2 months in the States have reminded me how convenient life is in the States, and I will not try and sugarcoat this, I love the conveniences!!

Convenience is very evident in terms of cooking.  I never have to worry if I will be able to find a certain ingredient.  I have tried many new recipes, and for the most part, I should be able to cook them in Russia, or be able to make substitutions for items not available.

I took a couple snapshots of my new recipes.  Mama and Papa Pagels ate very well during my stay in their house.  :)  Papa Pagels was spoiled with a full, happy belly, and Mama Pagels was spoiled in not having to cook after work.  :)

French Onion, Shepherd's Pie

View of the filling.  It was good, but I am not a huge "meat and potatoes" fan, and this was a bit too "meat and potato" for me.  I prefer my other shepherd's pie recipe that is much more vegetable filling.  

I can't remember the last time I made a box cake mix.  I found a red velvet mix in the pantry, and decided to "whip it up."  It was very simple and uneventful, I have decided I prefer baking from scratch.  In order to add some excitement, I made it a layered cake and made my own cream cheese frosting.  

Mama Pagels had a request for Oven Baked Fried Chicken.  This was my first attempt, and I loved it.  I will definitely make this again!  Yum, yum.

Apple Pie.  No more box cake mixes, hello homemade apple pie.  *Not a new recipe, I have made this before, but not for Papa Pagels.

Turkey Quinoa Chili and Mexican Cornbread.  Two, big thumbs up!  Love quinoa, and love this chili recipe.  If I ever find quinoa in Russia, this will be the first thing I make.  

What good is an apple pie picture if you can't see the yummy filling?

Apple pork chops with sweet potato latkes.  Again, 2 thumbs up.  Love sweet potatoes, and sweet potatoes are the one food that I miss most in Russia.  I actually contemplated bringing a sweet potato in my suitcase and attempting to plant and grow my own sweet potatoes.

My parents took such great care of me during my stay, so it was only appropriate I took care of them.  I hope they enjoyed being "guinea pigs" for the new culinary creations.  

Two months went by quickly.  I enjoyed my time in the States, but it is time to return to my life in Russia.  I have my 2 huge suitcases and carry on packed (more weight in luggage then my body weight, don't get me started on airline luggage weight limits).  

Look out Russia, HERE I COME! :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment