Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Chopped

With our upcoming trip to the States, Ryan and I inevitably ventured to the topic of food.  It seems every expat daydreams about returning to the States and partaking in the long awaited, comfort meal, food, or restaurant.  I am pretty positive Ryan may stop at the Taco Bell immediately upon leaving Bush Airport in Houston (we did during our April trip).  Luckily, I fulfilled my craving (twice) of Pumpkin Spice Latte during my last trip through Moscow, so I may take a day or two before I stop at a Starbucks.  Ok, that's a lie, I will stop at Starbucks immediately after leaving O'Hare.  

But when it ultimately comes down to it, I do not have many foods/restaurants I crave.  I have been thinking about it, Kashi cereal, sweet potatoes with applesauce, and normal tasting milk ranks pretty high on my list (hint, hint Mom).  In terms of food, I guess the thing I miss most is Food Network television shows (stop laughing), specifically Chopped.  With the weather being cold, and the fireplace hopefully ready for the season (hint, hint Dad) I will snuggle up to some new episodes. 

The past couple weeks, between Ryan's return from Moscow, and his recent departure to Kazakhstan, I cooked up my own culinary challenges.  Since I am the only contestant, and the judge is my husband, it's a win-win situation!  I have yet to be Chopped...



Round One: Dessert
Who doesn't love dessert?
Chocolate cake.  

What makes dessert even better?
Adding berries soaked in Brandy to the top of your chocolate cake and ice cream.  

The challenge ingredient.  Ryan found this at the grocery store and wanted me to buy it.
My response, "Ryan, I don't need chocolate ricotta.  What will I make?"  
His response, "I don't know, but you'll think of something, and it'll be good."

    
Round Two: Breakfast
Coffee with donut.  

Finally found a donut pan!  First time making apple donuts.
I earned extra points from the judge, when he was awoken Saturday morning by the inviting smell of fresh donuts.  

Round Three: Dinner
Challenge "ingredient" Smoker Bag.
Recent find at the grocery store.
Stubb's was brought from the States. 

If only the camera could capture aromas.
Barbecue Chicken
 
Final Round: Comfort Meal
Homemade tomato soup with Prosciutto, Basil, Pesto Grilled Mozzarella Sandwich
My personal favorite.

I know the "Rounds" do not coincide with the show (appetizer, entree, and dessert), nor did all the rounds take place in a single day, but as I mentioned earlier, I am the only contestant, and coincidentally the director and producer, so I make the rules. 

No comments:

Post a Comment