Thursday, November 8, 2012

612 Days

It is our 612th day since our move to Russia.  My "date counter" app I originally downloaded to count down the days until our move served it's original purpose, and since the day of our move, rather than deleting it, it now counts up.  Occasionally, I like to check the number of days, and then say, "Ryan, guess how many days we've been in Russia."  I love to hear his guess, and then see the look of surprise when I tell him a much higher number.

In honor of Day 612, I have been PACKING for my trip back to the States.  Nothing celebrates living in Russia better than packing for a trip.  :)  Seriously, in honor of our home in Novorossiysk, I shall share a few pictures...

Taken at dusk, one day last week.  I love the tall, climbing clouds.  

Good Morning!!
Seriously, I would love to see this every morning when I pull up the blinds.
I saw pictures two other expat wives took of this exact morning.  They live on a higher floor, so you could also see the sun's reflection on the water, beautiful.


This was actually taken 10 minutes ago.
 In case you are feeling extra studious, here is the always reliable, mind filling, wealth of knowledge, Wikipedia (funny, funny), to teach you a bit more about the city we reside in..... :)
FYI Novorossiysk has 12 sister cities, one being Gainesville, Florida.  Who knew?  
This new piece of knowledge, started me on a lengthy search of United States sister cities.  


This time tomorrow, I will be in Moscow, reunited with Ryan.  If I had to guess, I will probably either be doing my "happy dance" in honor of our trip, or complaining about how cold I am (winter temperatures are already creeping into the Moscow area). Either way, I will be with Ryan, so I must pack.  Inspired by the Russian Matryoshka dolls, I usually "nest" my luggage when I return to the States, then when I return to Russia, I "unnest" them and I have two suitcases to fill with all my purchases.  This time, I need only one suitcase because Ryan and I will be purchasing two new pieces of luggage for an upcoming vacation with VERY specific luggage restrictions.  No fear though, my huge purple suitcase will be joining me on this trip.  She has not made a trip for quite some time, and when I finally pulled her down from the closet shelf, I thought to myself, "shoot.....I could totally fit in there."  At the same time, I was also thinking, "gosh......I hope that's big enough."  The camera was already out, so.....

A nice mirror view of the suitcase and our gym room which always turns into my packing room before trips.  

I tried to think of a way to curl up in the suitcase, but the 10 second self-timer doesn't leave much time for cramming and curling.
Plus, the metal support bars are not the most comfortable.
  
 Packing is always a conflicting array of emotions.  I hate the actual packing process, and the worries about not forgetting something, or packing too much, but the knowledge of knowing that I am going on a trip just puts a little extra "pep in my step" and a smile on my face.

*In case you were wondering, the purple suitcase is NO WHERE near full.  I take as little as I possibly can home, and allow myself tons of room to bring all my new purchases back to Russia.  T-2 days until my toes hit American soil, and the shopping begins.....

No comments:

Post a Comment