Friday, December 20, 2013

Spouse in the House

Be very careful with the term "housewife" in reference to me.  For some reason, I do not like the term.

During one of my flights, a couple years ago, I had a connection in London, at Heathrow International.  I patiently waited through passport control, staring at the space on the form for occupation.  What should I put?  Unemployed….that makes me sound lazy.  Housewife……ugh, I do not like that term.  Expat wife…..well, that's what I am, so that's what I put.  I reached the front of the line, and the scariest passport control employee I have ever seen (imagine Gladiator contender), yelled Next! and looked right at me.  Oh goodness, initiate nervous sweat.  He took my passport, and form.  Read it over. Expat wife?! What is that?! I tried to explain that my husband works overseas, blah, blah.  He gives me a weird look, "So, you mean, you're a housewife (as he crosses out expat wife, and writes in housewife). Ugh, I do not like that term…..

Maybe I am a "term I do not wish to use" but, if I am, than I am one, awesome "spouse in the house." Yes, I prefer that much better, spouse in the house.

Some recent culinary creations this spouse has been very busily creating in the house.

Ryan loves Pho.
I found this super easy, close to Pho, Green Curry Coconut Chicken Soup. 

We were unsuccessful with our search for bagels in the UAE.  Maybe we were too busy stuffing our faces with Coldstone Ice Cream.
I decided to try my luck with homemade bagels.  Success!
Jalapeño, cheddar breakfast bagel sandwiches.  

Who knew People magazine was wonderful for the latest celebrity sightings as well as recipes?
I found this Thyme and Goat Cheese stuffed Chicken Breasts wrapped with Prosciutto, and a lovely Shallot Sauce.  Major Yum!

I have started an addiction.  Ice Cream Cakes!
This time I went for a ice cream pie, butterfinger style.
Oreo crust, peanut butter layer, butterfinger ice cream, and whip cream topping.
Butterfingers and Oreos were imported from the States. 

Meatless meals.
I have been cooking with Tofu.  I made Tofu Parmigiana, and this tofu, sun dried tomato, and spinach calzone.  Ryan enjoyed both meals (especially the calzone) so it looks like I will continue to incorporate tofu into our meals.  

For now, this spouse has to finish planning her holiday cookie plans.  Love Christmas, love baking….

No comments:

Post a Comment