Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Closet Cooking...

Tomorrow marks the four week point until we move. Not like I am keeping a countdown. :)

After spending the past three years stocking up on food items while in America, and bringing back multiple, overweight pieces of luggage each trip, I have now reached the point where I need to use my stockpiles. Mixed among my American imports are also food items found in the local grocery stores. Certain items will appear in the store, and I have learned to buy (multiples) when items do appear because it is not guaranteed you will see them again soon, or ever.

My meal planning has taken on a new focus, something I am referring to as Closet Cooking. No pantry in my kitchen, only a closet near the front door to our apartment, the location of my food stockpiles.

The past week's Closet Cooking Culinary Creations:

Not an import, but an item Ryan found months ago during a shopping trip.
Sweet Chili Sauce for Chicken

I am still cooking mostly vegetarian meals, so rather than using the sauce on chicken, I used it to flavor a broth for what I call: "Sweet Chili Tofu, with Soba Noodles"

No babies in our apartment, but I do keep a supply of baby food in the closet. Mainly, apple for baking since I have yet to find applesauce here, and pumpkin as a substitute for canned pumpkin when there are no fresh pumpkins or squash to be found. 

Pumpkin ricotta twice baked potatoes. I added some diced pears for freshness and crunch.
Served with my absolute favorite salad combination, strawberries and goat cheese. 

Shredded coconut, for my husband that claims he does not like coconut. :)
Add in some almonds I have had for some time and leftover white chocolate from a previous creation. 

White Chocolate, Coconut, Almond Cookies
I took inspiration from the very popular candies, Raffaello. I am not sure if they are popular in the States, but they seem to be the candy of choice for any Russian holiday, event, or gift. 
My "Closet Cooking" is not only an attempt to clear the shelves before our move, but also to keep me focused during our last weeks here. After seeing the kitchen in our new house, I find it very difficult to cook in the "kitchen" I currently have. Adding a bit of entertainment should hopefully help me until I am cooking in my dream kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment