Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Louisiana Cooking Advice….true story

Ryan and I have to share a recent event. Some may find it entertaining, others may find it unusual. You never know, someone may actually use this advice (I will not). Regardless of what you may think, this blog is acting as an electronic journal, and because I do not want to forget this event, I am blogging. A day will come, when I look back on this post, and it will bring back this experience.

Some friendly Louisiana Cooking Advice….

Ryan and I went to Fresh Market, a nice grocery store, to buy ribs. Since this was his first time grilling ribs, Ryan asked the butcher for some advice.

The butcher begins to explain about simmering the ribs prior to grilling. As the butcher is talking, I notice a woman, and I must state, this woman looks normal, your average woman. This woman is nodding along in agreement to everything the butcher is saying. It's obvious (at least I thought) she has experience grilling ribs. No, no, no, not ribs….SQUIRREL! Her addition to the butcher's advice, and I kid you not. "My husband cooks squirrel like that all the time. If you boil it before you grill it, it really tenderizes the meat, and then it just falls right off the bone. But a simmer won't work, you have to BOIL that squirrel for a good long time." Ryan, the butcher, and I were speechless.

There you go friends, authentic Louisiana Cooking Advice. In case you've ever seen Duck Dynasty and wondered if people in Louisiana really eat squirrel, we can officially confirm the show is not staged. Squirrel is a commonly accepted meal down yonder. Where it is commonly accepted is still unestablished, it is definitely not accepted in our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment