Friday, June 10, 2011

Beautiful Scotland...

I know I have talked about the beauty of all the places we've travelled, but I truly mean it about Scotland.  Scotland is an incredibly beautiful country.  The past 3 days were spent in Aberdeen and today Ryan and I picked up our rental car and began our journey around Scotland.

Before I get too far ahead.  Aberdeen was a lovely city, I must admit I did not do much historical sightseeing, but I did enjoy venturing into the city and walking around the shops.  Wednesday, I grabbed lunch at a super cute, small restaurant "Food Story" everything is locally grown and organic.  I ordered the herb roasted red pepper soup, yum yum, fantastic. 

The Scottish accent never seems to wear off.  I love listening to people talk!  For one, they are very pleasant people.  I took the city bus (still is an awesome experience that I greatly enjoy) and one day I met two very old women.  The one lady was sitting with her friend waiting to catch the bus.  We were both waiting for the same #16.  I saw the #16 coming down the road.  At the same time as I began to proceed to the bus, the two older ladies were laughing hysterically.  I couldn't help but giggle along with them.  They were laughing because they were struggling to see the bus number.  I confirmed it was the #16 and they were very thankful.  The one older lady said to me, "Oh honey, when you get to our age, you have to laugh at things, it's the only way to stay young.  Plus, I like to switch the numbers in my age, I am 85, but I like to think I am 58, it makes me feel so young."  I thought they were the greatest. :)

I also met some Chevron friends in Ryan's training class.  Paul is originally from Scotland (yes, he had an awesome accent) and Allard, he's Dutch (from the Netherlands, not Denmark).  We grabbed some traditional Scottish Fish and Chips, made with Haddock not Cod.  It was delicious, but not something I could eat everyday.  Oh, and I love all the ciders!  Ryan has been sampling plenty of Whiskey, and I have been downing my share of cider.

So, my quick update post has turned into a complete novel.  I have so much to say!  Well, getting back to the beginning of our roadtrip.  We picked up our rental car and Ryan thought he had ordered a Peugot.  If you don't know the brand Peugot, look it up, I love their little lion guy.  He's super cute, and I like to make a roaring noise when I see him.  Anywho, we get to Avis, and they did not have the Peugot, but rather a BMW.  Ryan was thrilled!  He really misses his BMW and so I was happy to see he was not only going to be able to drive, but drive a car he likes.  Oh well, Mr. Peugot, there's always another time. 

Speaking of driving, Ryan is doing very well with the manual.  He knows how to drive a manual, but it's been a long time.  The other super tricky part, the steering wheel is on the left side and you drive on the opposite side of the road.  No major driving problems to report.  We made it safely to Inverness!

On the way to Inverness, we stopped at Glenfiddich Distillery.  It is a popular whiskey distillery.  We took a nice tour of the facility and now I know how whiskey is made.  And I still know I do not like whiskey.  We had a sampling to finish our tour, I managed one sip and was done.  I believe it is false advertising to say that there are hints of apple or chocolate in a whiskey.  I am not a whiskey expert, but I did not taste anything near apple in the 12 year whiskey.  Either way, Ryan was able to try a few different kinds and he enjoyed it.

I type this blog in the cutest bed and breakfast.  I mentioned previously that we are staying at a couple different bed and breakfasts during our Scotland adventure.  I was very excited when we pulled up to a super cute house and was greeted by the lovely owner.  She gave us cupcakes upon arrival (I knew we were going to get along) and then led us to our room explaining all the places to see in Inverness.  I filled in our breakfast request and took it down to the kitchen.  It reminds me of home, not the ordering breakfast, (but that would be pretty cool Mom) :) but it's nice to be in a cozy house.

Well, it is late.  This post took much longer than anticipated, but once I start, I can't seem to stop.  I will try and post again.  Good night everyone!

For the Chevron people reading this blog, Ryan's computer has rated me at a work intensity of 8!!  Not too bad for a posting, though the workpace breaks tend to put a damper on my thought flow. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment