Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Scotland continued....and it keeps getting better

My last post found us having just arrived in Inverness.  I spoke of Scotland's beauty previously and the beauty and history of Scotland continues to impress.  We were warned about Scotland's weather, but we have experienced mostly sunny, mild, beautiful weather.  Our only encounters with rain have been during early evening and nighttime. 

So, picking up where I left off.  The Inverness Bed & Breakfast was lovely.  We awoke in the morning and were greeted with breakfast in the dining room.  Terri, the B&B owner was extremely welcoming and very "motherly."  We talked a great deal during and after breakfast.  Mid morning, we left and began our drive to our next stopping point, Stirling.  Along the way we stopped at the Loch Ness Center and learned of all the tales and explorations of Loch Ness.  Nessie is a difficult lady to find, I looked, but she's good.  Sadly, I did not see her.  We were able to take many beautiful pictures along the way.  I will be sure to post all pictures upon my return to Novorossiysk.  We stopped for lunch in Fort Augustus (Terri's recommendation).  It is a small town with lochs for boats to pass through.  It was at this location that I learned (with the help of Google on Ryan's Blackberry) what Black Pudding actually is.  This, I found, to be the only negative comment I have towards Scotland.  First off all, it is completely deceiving to title something "pudding" that is nowhere near true "pudding."  Secondly, this is probably the most disturbing item of food I have ever eaten in my life.  Since Ryan and I have been travelling to so many areas of the world, I have made a conscious effort to try local food.  Black Pudding does not have a very distinct flavor, but I am sorry I tried it.  Upon learning the contents, I decided to pass on the rest of my lunch and even passed on ice cream (yeah, I felt that ill).  Anywho, moving on, look up Black Pudding.

Pass Fort Augustus, we entered into Glencoe area.  This drive was absolutely BEAUTIFUL, the most beautiful land I have ever seen.  It truly is remarkable that different areas of the world can be so drastically different.  A couple weeks ago, I was in the center of flatland and sand, this week I am surrounded by rolling hills (mountains) and so many varying shades of green, I can't even begin to put a number on.  The road we took wound through the area and when I thought I found the most beautiful area, we would drive a few more miles, and there was something even more spectacular.  Again, pictures will be shared in a future post.

We arrived at our lodging in Stirling.  Ryan wanted to stay in a castle and I was able to find Broomhall Castle.  In the morning, we set out for the William Wallace Monument.  We walked the winding path up to the monument and then climbed the 246 stairs to the top.  I decided I wanted to learn more about William Wallace and bought "A Wee Guide to William Wallace."  I can't lie, I chose this book based on the fact the word Wee is in the title. :)  We also visited Stirling Castle.  Very interesting and impressive history.  Charlie, our tour guide, was incredibly entertaining! 

Our next stopping location was Edinburgh, where I currently sit in our cute guest house and type this post.  In Edinburgh, we have visited the Edinburgh Castle.  Again, very interesting and impressive history.  We also did the Ultimate Whisky Experience.  It was a interactive "ride" describing how whiskey is made and it ended with a tasting.  I did not partake in any sampling, but Ryan tried a few, and found some favorites.  This morning, we visited the Royal Yacht Britannia.  This was the yacht the Royal Family used until decommissioned in 1997.  I almost forgot, we also went to see a movie.  Random, I know, we are in historical, beautiful Scotland, and we chose to spend a couple hours in a movie theater.  Considering we can't see movies in Russia, it was a real treat for us. :)

We leave on the train to London tomorrow, that is if I survive tonight's activity.  My crazy self, mentioned to Ryan, a Dead City Tour.  It has been featured in numerous travel shows and documents.  We are planning to take a tour of some of the most haunted areas of Edinburgh.  Oh goodness, what have I gotten myself into.  Any well wishes would be much appreciated.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Glad that you're enjoying your trip. I can't wait to see all of your pictures from Scotland and London! Also, your latest post from the train assures me that you survived your haunted evening. When I first read this a few days ago it made me think of the cemetery tour we went on at Crown Hill...good times. Lastly, I googled "black pudding" and read the Wikipedia entry. Gross. Even I may have passed on ice cream after that.

    ReplyDelete