Thursday, May 10, 2012

я не нужнa мaшину...

I am without our drivers for the next 7-10 days.  Ryan left for a trip along the pipeline, and our car and drivers went with.  I still have use of a different vehicle, but I thought this situation was the perfect reason to purchase a bicycle.

I have not had a bike for nearly 5 years.  Some unfortunate thief stole my bike off my front porch in Indianapolis.  I say unfortunate thief, because the thief must have realized, very quickly, the bike was old, nearly broken, and not worth stealing.  Unfortunately, for me, the thief did not return the bike, but instead, most likely, tossed it in a dumpster.

Enough background information.  I have been trying to figure out a way to get by without using the car and driver.  People hear me talk about having a driver, but it really isn't very glamorous.  I miss the feeling of independence.  When I go to get my nails or hair done, I walk.  When I visit the office,  I walk.  Since my return in February, I pretty much only shop at the grocery store near our apartment, and you guessed it, I walk.  The only time I really use the driver, is to get to the gym, which is daily.

I have been contemplating the purchase of a bicycle.  With the absence of our car, and the arrival of lovely, spring weather, I decided there was no better time.  Luckily, Ryan knows a thing or two about bikes.  My expertise stops at cute color choices.  I originally thought it would be fun to get a retro, city cruiser style, maybe even with a basket for my trips to the market.  Ryan was smart and talked me out of that choice.  A bike was found that met both our guidelines. Another good decision, I decided to not go too girly, and chose white, but my helmet (which coordinates with the bicycle) has some yellow and gray fanciness.  :)

So, not only am I the crazy American that spends hours a day at the gym, but now, I am the crazy American that would rather ride her bicycle to the gym, instead of being driven.  I wonder what the employees and other gym patrons think of me?  It seems the gym has some of the "wealthier" population as members, so I especially enjoy riding into the parking lot, on a bicycle and weaving my way around the Porsches and Range Rovers.  :)  Also, I find it incredibly amusing that the girls at the front desk raise the gate arm so I can pull into the parking lot, as if I were in a car.  Maybe I will start a trend, leave the car at home, ride your bike.  :)

Off to the gym. 




It takes about 20 minutes to bike to the gym, that is at a decent pace, with occasional traffic stops.  Not to mention, detours to avoid dangerous curbs, or sidewalks that end, turning into a rocky, dirt path.  Our city has some lovely sidewalks, but there are still many areas unfinished, or the finished ones need some fine tuning.  Again, thank you Ryan for steering me away from the cute cruisers, and towards a more practical bike.  The freedom of riding a bike, and independence without the driver is what I needed.

я не нужнa мaшину. у меня есть велосипед.
I don't need the car.  I have a bicycle. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Virginia, if you find yourself in need of a car for any reason, just let me know! We'd be happy to share with you. Although the bike looks very fun :).

    ReplyDelete