Monday, May 28, 2012

A Week in Asia

We did not travel to Asia by plane, train, or automobile, but rather, by tummy.  We recently enjoyed a week of Asian cuisine (subject to ingredient availability, and my culinary choices).  Honestly, I don't know how the week turned into (almost) every dinner consisting of some type of Asian food dish, but regardless, it did.  If I had to guess, it was probably the idea to make lettuce wraps, and spring rolls, and the theme (with my inner teacher driving) exploded.  We may not have literally traveled to Asia, but our tummies were definitely fooled.

Fire-Pot Soup  (calamari, tofu, and shrimp).  

The Fire-Pot soup was served with shrimp spring rolls.  Ryan and I made the spring rolls together.  Can you guess what rolls he made? :)  I just said he was bringing in a little Mexican cuisine with a spring roll taco.  

Ryan did make two delicious dipping sauces, peanut and sweet chili (I had to make sure I gave credit).  

Sweet and Sour Pulled Pork Lettuce wraps.  Served with sesame vegetables, and Quinoa Mac 'n' Cheese (not Asian, oops).  

Asian Beef with Mandarin Oranges.  My least favorite of the week.    
Wait, this doesn't look Asian?  You're correct.  I had a slight deviation from the theme.  I had some vegetables I wanted to use, so I made an orange, basil turkey.  Served with a couscous salad.  Not too bad for a "clean out the refrigerator veggie drawer before they go bad" dinner.  

Back on track.  Spicy Tofu Hotpot.  Served with soy glazed, grilled carrots.  

And the grand finale.  Pad Thai Pizza (homemade pizza crust).  Served with Asian coleslaw.  Definitely our favorite meal.   

It was a great week of culinary milestones in Russia.  I'm not saying it's easy, but with a bit of determination, food substitutions, patience, and creativity, any meal is possible.  Ryan has recommended I create an expat cookbook, cooking in foreign countries.  Who knows, if we get another expat assignment, I may have a good reason. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment