Friday, May 4, 2012

Guest Chef

I was unsuccessful in my attempt to create an enticing title.  I did not know how to adequately, in a short phrase, set the scene for what took place about a week ago.  My "short phrase" attempt fell short, but hopefully I can redeem myself:

Brave husband enters kitchen, recipe in hand.

It is appropriate that I preface the remaining context of this blog with: Ryan is a good cook, he has culinary creations (you will see in the near future) that sprout from a mind so full of imagination, and love for food.  He respects my love of cooking, and has learned to stay clear of the kitchen during my culinary creations.

I am not able to recall the exact day, but sometime last week, I decided that I did not want to cook dinner, but rather, I would like Ryan to cook.  If I am completely honest, I do not know if my motives were an attempt at relaxation or entertainment.  I have mentioned before, creating interesting meals, and not succumbing to the same two or three meals time and again is a difficult task in Russia.  I put a lot of effort into collecting different ingredients, and always attempting to cook something new, with very few repeat meals.

I decided to select a few recipes, three to be exact, and let Ryan choose what he would like to make.  The chosen recipe: Beef Penne with Blue Cheese.  Of course, we don't like blue cheese, so a substitute of goat cheese was made, and Ryan found some cute, heart shaped pasta, instead of penne.

We went to the market together, and collected the fresh produce.  A trip to the store to collect our beef was also completed, though did provide much entertainment.  Lovely quote upon checkout: "Well, I don't know if we bought meat or some organ, but we'll have to check the iPad when we get home."  Upon looking up the words on the iPad, we learned (thankfully) that we successfully dodged all organs.

Ryan was set with all necessary ingredients, I decided to "enjoy" some reading on the couch (close enough to the kitchen to answer any questions).  I was informed, by Ryan, that the spinach was nonnegotiable.  Spinach here is nothing like cute, prepackaged baby spinach in the States.  Ryan was not going to even attempt to handle Russian market spinach.  With a giggle, I handled the scary spinach. :)

As is always the case, my quick blog has turned into a novel.  Congratulations, if you have made it this far.  You will now be greatly rewarded with a picture:
 
I decided I would provide the evening's dessert.  Frozen strawberry and banana "ice cream."  Very simply frozen strawberries, frozen bananas, and a little bit of yogurt processed in a food processor.  The result, a ice cream/sorbet textured creations.  Satisfies an ice cream craving with much fewer calories.


Lastly, I mentioned earlier that Ryan is very good at creating culinary creations with a mind full of imagination and love of food.  I was able to catch proof of one such incident.
Ryan's favorite things, Oreos and peanut butter.
After many attempts, he was able to locate Birthday Oreos during our last day in Houston.  We were on the way to the airport, so I decided to just put both packages (Ryan bought two) in my carry on.  This decision caused interesting looks during a security screening of my bag.  The TSA man unzips my suitcase, and is faced with two containers of Oreos.  He, and another passenger standing next to me gave me a strange look.  Though, I must admit, I have never had a better smelling suitcase.
*FYI, reduced fat Skippy (what we found in Singapore), not good.  Stick with Natural Skippy.  

No need to provide caption. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment