Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Thankful, grateful, appreciative.....

I realize I am a couple weeks late, but it does not change the many reasons I have to be thankful.  Honestly, I believe we need to focus more on what we are thankful for the entire year, rather than saving it for one particular day, or month.  If we open our eyes, we will find our lives filled with many reasons, small or large, to be thankful.  Our life in Russia, and the different experiences I have encountered taught me an important thing: rather than dwell on what conflicts us, focus on the many reasons we have to be thankful, grateful, and appreciative......each and every day.

After returning to Moscow, as I sat in our hotel room, I quickly typed the following "Top 10" I simply typed what came to mind first, no attempts to organize them by what is most important.  I stopped at ten because it makes my organized, structured mind calm, plus it helps to limit my rambling, but no guarantees, my words seem to flow like a waterfall.

1. Ryan.  I don't know where I would be without this man.  Actually, I know I wouldn't be in Russia. :)  Jokes aside, I am thankful for a wonderful, loving husband, grateful he is next to me during our adventures, and appreciative of everything his work, and Chevron have provided us.  I look forward to many more years of thankful memories with the love of my life.


2. Family and Friends....my personal support group.  Even though it was a family marathon, the couple weeks in the States were filled with many memorable family moments.  It took me a long time to realize this, but the older I get, the more I realize what an amazing family I have.  I am thankful for parents with limitless love and outstretched arms with my every return.  They provide a constant and dependable comfort I crave when my world is full of constant change and adapting.  I am grateful I was able to spend time with Ryan's family and his incredibly sweet Grandmother.

3. Music.  Maybe it's the time of the year, but I am thankful for music.  Christmas music is my all time favorite, and I try my best to only play it during the holiday season, but once the holidays arrive, it is non-stop Christmas station.  I am thankful we have Witopia so I am able to use an American gateway to get Pandora in Russia.  Our TV does not provide many English choices, so I fill our apartment with Pandora radio, singing and dancing til my little heart is content.   You may not realize this, but you should be grateful you are not here to hear my awful vocals, belting out each and every song.  On the same note, I appreciate not having anyone to hear my singing.  Well, there is one unlucky listener......

4. Macy.  My lil punkin butt has returned to Russia!  I still swear she is the cutest, sweetest, funniest four legged animal to grace this world.  In the few days we have been back in our apartment, Ryan and I have had  moments of laughing until tears fell.  She is a world class greeter, running to the door to greet Ryan when he returns home.  I am thankful for her company, grateful she is such a well behaved dog, and appreciate our snuggle time.


5. Books.  To say I read a lot would be an understatement.  I love to read.  I love curling up with a wonderful book, and getting lost.  I vary between fiction and non-fiction, romance or mystery.  I am thankful we are able to have books shipped to us, grateful I have a Kindle for when I cannot wait for a book to ship, and appreciate the quietness of a morning to get lost in a book.

6. Travel.  Never could I ever imagine I would have the opportunity to travel.  I always dreamed of traveling, but somewhere in my mind I never thought it would happen.  Now, I cannot believe the countries I have visited the past couple years.  I am thankful for each opportunity to experience a new culture, grateful to have Ryan with me, and even though traveling is wonderful, I always appreciate returning home.

7. Food.  Where shall I begin with this....when I first typed "food" I thought of cooking.  It has recently become a fulfilling hobby.  I am able to experiment with new recipes and ingredients, while providing delicious meals for us.  For the other half of me, the word food conjured thoughts of chocolate covered pretzels, sweet potatoes and other food items that bring me great joy.  I am thankful for food, grateful I am able to cook, and appreciate new culinary dishes.


8. Internet.  It connects me with others while I am away.  Internet provides me with FaceTime which allows me to video chat with my family and friends, it provides me Pandora radio, and gives me an opportunity to type away on this blog.  I am thankful for the communication opportunity and appreciate the entertainment source.

9. Emotions.  I am an emotional person (momentary pause for those that know me best to finish laughing/agreeing with previous statement).  I cry bucketfuls, I laugh until I snort, I am a bundle of various mental states.  But, life would be too boring if there were no emotions.  I am thankful for my various moods, I am grateful Ryan handles them well, and appreciate the memories.


10. Pictures.  The saying goes they are worth a thousand words, and I fully agree.  I love looking at pictures, telling or hearing the story that accompany, and reliving a memory.  The best pictures are the impromptu, capturing a moment, not staged, but real.  I am thankful for the moments pictures capture, grateful there are many memories, and appreciate the lasting image.

This post has already turned into a novel (congratulations if you read this far), but I will provide the excuse I have not posted for close to a month, I was too busy enjoying the many things I am thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment