Monday, January 20, 2014

Expiration, renewal, and unknown.

It's Monday, the start of another week.  I feel as though we were just in Moscow, and I would be correct.  We were here for a few days after our return from Paris.  Ryan completed the process for his new Russian work permit, and submitted our passports to begin the process of renewing our Russian Visas.  As I type this, I realize I told everyone and myself, we would not be in Russia long enough to renew our 3-year Visas, but today, I stand corrected.  We have come to their expiration, and must file for renewal.

I sit in Moscow, and I think back three years to Houston.  Late February, Ryan and I were out of our apartment, and living in a hotel until we were given the go ahead to move to Russia.  I remember sitting in the hotel room, Macy was probably taking a nap (the usual) and Ryan called.  He told me to get ready, he was coming by to pick me up, we were going to submit for our Visas.  From that point, it was a whirlwind, we submitted, scheduled the movers, finalized paperwork and flights, and we were gone, off to Russia.

I did not know at the time what was in store for us.  I continuously reassured myself that I would survive, Russia could not be so bad.  But then I thought about the fact I was 24 years old, newly married, and moving to a country that I knew next to nothing about, and the little bit I did know was not the greatest.  At that point, I used the 3 year Visa has my timeline, it was my reassurance that it would not last forever, in three years, we would be gone.

We have reached the point of expiration, renewal, and unknown.  Our Visa expires the end of February, we must renew, and the length of our remaining stay in Russia is unknown.  Ryan and I knew that the start of the new year was going to bring many new things into our lives.  The main thing, and the thing that is most on our minds right now, is Ryan's next assignment.  We do not know where it will be, we do not know when we will move.  For a planner like me, it's a difficult time.  I have said multiple times, "I do not care where we go, I just want to know."  I am sincere in that statement.  I have  experienced, and survived three years in Russia.  From the nervous woman I was to the woman I have become because of the experience, I know that Ryan and I can handle anything (in the States and abroad) that is given to us.  And, I also rest assured that no matter where the next assignment takes us, Chevron will take care of us.  Chevron has been incredible to us during our time in Russia, and I am confident they will continue.  Now, the only question is, where will Ryan's next assignment with Chevron be?  My only hope at this point, is not for the most exotic or comfortable location for our next assignment, but that our move to our new location will arrive before we have to renew our 3-year Visas, again! :)

As you were probably able to tell, I have a lot on my mind, and sometimes it is nice to put it into words.  I mentioned the new year is bringing many new things into our lives, and on a lighter note, I would like to share one new thing that came into our lives during our last stay in Moscow.  Fresh!  It's a restaurant we found, very near to our hotel.  I have found my little piece of heaven in Moscow!  It is a vegetarian, healthy food restaurant in Moscow!  I was close to tears browsing the menu, it was full of fabulously delicious healthy rabbit food (as Ryan likes to refer to my food choices).  I gasped every time I read sweet potato, alfalfa sprouts, fresh this, and fresh that.  I had never laid eyes on such a beautiful menu during our entire time in Russia.  Needless to say, that is where you will find me for most meals during this week in Moscow.  Nice job, Moscow, nice job!


No comments:

Post a Comment