Sunday, July 3, 2011

A Russian Birthday

A big thank you to everyone for the birthday wishes!  I celebrated my 25th birthday Wednesday.  I enjoyed all the birthday wishes and all the cards I received from home.  The day was pretty much the same as always.  I went to the gym in the morning, they saw on the computer it was my birthday and decided to give me a gift.  They made me fresh orange juice at the juice bar and it was delicious.

I met Ryan at work for lunch.  After lunch I walked over to Sporaxis to have my nails done.  I came home to a surprise.  I went to sit on the balcony and read until Ryan came home.  When I sat down, I saw that I had my first chili peppers growing.  I was super excited and as always, Macy too. :)

Ryan made dinner reservations at Myshako, a winery just outside the city.  I really enjoyed dinner.  The restaurant is very different from the others in Novorossiysk.  It has a much more relaxing atmosphere and delicious food.  Not to mention, the plethora of wine selections always makes a dinner much more enjoyable.

So, all in all, my 25th birthday in Russia was a successful and good birthday. :)  Some people asked about any special Russian birthday traditions.  As far as I know, there are not any specific traditions.  I know one difference is paying on your birthday.  In the States, if you go out with friends on your birthday, the friends pay for the birthday person.  In Russia, if you invite friends out to celebrate your birthday, you pay.  Also, you provide the birthday cake or treats at work on your birthday.  Ryan bought a cake and took it to work for his birthday.  I guess it's like grade school, you bring the cupcakes and juice on your birthday. :)  I always enjoyed when student's had birthdays. :)

First two peppers!!

Macy was enjoying time on the balcony.
Her tail is blurry in the picture because it was wagging so quickly. 

Dinner at Myshaka.
I wore the dress Ryan picked out in London. 

Beautiful  birthday flowers.
I usually get fresh flowers once a week, but this week I got them twice!

No comments:

Post a Comment