Sunday, July 17, 2011

Safely arrived in the States...

and enjoying every minute! :)

Ryan did an amazing job of scheduling flights so that my trip back to the States was as easy as possible.  When I say easy, this includes 33+ hours of travel from the time I left my apartment in Novo (midnight, Monday, Chicago time) until I arrived in Chicago at 10 am Wednesday.  My trip consisted of 3 flights, Krasnodar-Moscow, Moscow-London, London-Chicago.  I had a 4 hour layover in Moscow and a 9 hour layover in London.  Ryan was great, and booked a hotel in London so I was able to sleep for a couple hours and shower.  But, regardless of how long it took, it was worth it when I stepped out of O'Hare to a beautiful summer day.

I have had numerous moments where I pause and enjoy the moment.  I left the States from Houston, March 7th, and I have not been back to my parent's, Michigan City, since last Thanksgiving.  I feel it is appropriate to share the moments I have enjoyed, when in the past I may have taken for granted.

*Driving.  It has been over 4 months since I have driven.  My parents are actually enjoying the "new" driver in me.  I am much more cautious with my driving and my inner rage has been greatly reduced.  I credit this change to the fact I am driving my mother's car, which is much larger than my previous car (miss Emma).  Also, since I am used to having a driver, I find I have the tendency to talk and forget to continue pushing on the gas peddle, luckily, I continue to remember to steer. :)  Oh well, my parents enjoy the lighter lead foot.

*Target.  I remember mentioning my displeasure of Russia's lack of Targets.  I happily saw a Target semi during our drive home from O'Hare and I made a shopping stop earlier this week.

*Shopping.  If Michigan City Lighthouse Mall has an economic boost during the month of July, it is most likely due to me.  Luckily and unfortunately, I have to limit my purchases so I do not have too much in my luggage.  I find myself buying just as much for Ryan as for myself.  :)

*Small town Indiana.  I used to complain about the people of Michigan City and small town life.  Now, I think it's so refreshing.  People are so nice.  Checking out at the store, people have a conversation with you.  Driving in my parent's subdivision, people smile and wave.  Passing homes in the early evening, everyone is sitting outside on their front porches and patios.

*Country music.  My roommates (Maire and Jenn) from Indy can affirm my appreciation for country music.  After living in Russia, where the only American music I hear is the latest pop songs, it is very nice to listen to country music.  I guess it just adds to my small town Indiana surroundings.  Ryan should be thankful he is not being subjected to the country music.

*Food.  I have missed a few food items, Kashi, vanilla yogurt, cottage cheese and baby carrots, to name a few.  It is also very nice to go to a grocery store and see such abundant displays of produce.  The amount of selection for every grocery item is also very pleasant.

I think that wraps up some of the major items.  I am enjoying time with family.  I look forward to spending time with some friends too.  Returning to the States has really reaffirmed my understanding of how fortunate Ryan and I are.  Ryan, at such an early time in his career, has an amazing opportunity with an incredible company.  Living in Russia provides Ryan and I with an opportunity to not only test our abilities to adapt, but to also grow closer as a couple.  Our travel experiences have taken us to so many incredible places, with more to come.  I am truly blessed and am so thankful for everything I have, and everything I have to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment