Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Reluctantly returned...

Ryan and I arrived in Russia Sunday after an incredible trip.  We have so many pictures to sort, so I have decided to do multiple posts as we sort.  To be truthful, I want to spend as much time viewing the pictures and reminiscing.  Greece was always a dream destination for myself and Ryan too.  I am thankful it was a dream come true and the vacation could not have been more perfect.

We arrived in Athens on Saturday around noon and spent the rest of the day exploring the city and visiting the Acropolis.  We had a late lunch/early dinner at a simple but delicious cafe.  Ryan was in search of his first gyro and unfortunately the cafes near the Acropolis did not have gyros on the menu.  We were able to enjoy our first Greek menu item, Saganaki.  It is a pan seared Greek cheese, that comes out having a nice flaky coating.  During our meal, I described it as a french toast mozzarella stick.  As I type the description it doesn't sound too appetizing but during the meal the description worked.

It was interesting to explore the Acropolis and revel in the history that took place, or the fact that it the building and events to place so long ago.  The United States is really such a newborn baby in comparison to the rest of the world.  I don't/shouldn't mention this, but I forgot my camera at the hotel, so all pictures in this album were taken on Ryan's Blackberry.  They actually turned out fairly well and I am glad (for once) that he had and was using his Blackberry.  :)


1 comment:

  1. Yes, I agree that saganaki was one of the best things we ate. We were there in 2000 and there were cranes at the acropolis then, sad to see it's still there. Can't wait to see the rest of the pics!

    ReplyDelete