Monday, August 8, 2011

154 days and counting....

We moved 154 days ago!!  I can't believe we have been here since March 7th!  I was going to post at day number 150, but I was distracted and then our internet was being goofy.

How does the saying go?  Time flies when you're having fun?

I wouldn't say living in Russia is always fun, but the fun times definitely outnumber the tough times.  I remind myself that regardless of where we live, there will always be tough times.  I have mentioned this many times before, but I am very excited and thankful to have the opportunity to live abroad.  My Indianapolis roommates can tell you how I first reacted to Ryan's announcement.  :)  But now that I am living here, it is a great experience.  I was excited to get back to Ryan and Macy!

As you may have read in my previous post, I was back in the States for 3 weeks.  The trip home helped to show me how much I have grown from living in Russia.  I am so much more self confident.  If you would have asked me a couple of years ago to travel half way around the world by myself, I would have laughed and called you crazy.  I successfully maneuvered  through 3 flights through 3 different countries in order to get back.  And 3 weeks later, I did the return trip.  I loved the questions I received from airport employees.  Many were very curious why I was coming from Russia, and then had numerous questions regarding my living in Russia.  The best question came from the British Airways woman at the check in counter in Chicago as I was checking in for my return trip to Russia.  I arrived with my perfectly PACKED, STUFFED, BULGING AT THE SEAMS suitcases, yet surprisingly underweight.  As the older woman was tagging my bags she noticed my final airport destination.  She looked at the tag, looked at me and said:
      "Sweetie, I have been working at this counter for many years, and never, have I ever, seen anyone fly to the airport KRR.  I don't even know where it is!"
I nicely explained its location in Russia.  She listened to my explanation and when I finished she replied with:
      "Now WHY are you living there!?!"
Again, I explained my situation.  As I was explaining, my tickets for the 3 flights printed.  A look of horror came across the woman's face, and she said to me:
      "Oh my gosh!  Do you know how many flights you have!?!  Do you realize how long you are going to be traveling!?!"
I kindly collected my tickets, smiled, thanked the woman and said: " Yes, ma'am, I did this same trip 3 weeks ago."

And here I am, sitting in Novorossiysk, Russia, in my apartment typing this blog.  I am happy to be back and looking forward to future travel adventures.  :)

P.S. I know I have done a poor job with posts the past few weeks and I promise to make a better effort the next few weeks.  Advance apologies for any upcoming, random posts. :)

     


No comments:

Post a Comment