Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Once in a lifetime...

Our days spent in the rain forest of Borneo were a once in a lifetime experience, basically because I do not ever see myself repeating the experience a second time.  Only joking, if Ryan asked me to go back to Borneo, or to another rain forest area of the world, I would.

Last Sunday, July 14th, marked our 1 year "wedding" anniversary.  Next month, August 12th, marks our 3 year "marriage" anniversary.  In our almost three years together, Ryan and I have had a few experiences that when we look back on, we think they make good "tests" for a marriage.  If a husband and wife can survive the experience, come out still loving each other, and alive, then they are truly meant to be together.  For example - renting a car in Scotland, with the steering wheel on the opposite side of the car while driving on the opposite side of the road.  Add the wife in the passenger seat, with a Blackberry for GPS, begin road trip around the country.  If a husband and wife can successfully travel around the country, and return in one piece (car and humans), and still speaking to each other, the two are meant to be married.

Now, the latest experience.  Take a husband and wife, put them 50 km down a river in the middle of the rain forest in Borneo.  Turn the thermostat up to about 95 degrees with a humidity of about 99.9%.  Now, take away air conditioning, and put the two in a very, VERY basic lodging room.  It may not sound too bad to you, but when the above mentioned wife is accustomed to fancy ways, fancy hotels, and holds the nickname Fancypants, the experience becomes interesting.

I love Ryan, I say that a lot, and I truly mean it.  His patience, kindness, and frequent attempts to make jokes, or pull pranks (at my expense) made our time in Borneo once in a lifetime.  We laughed through the sticky moments of being covered in sweat, sunscreen, and bug spray.  Enjoyed numerous incredible animal sightings.  Provided endless amounts of entertainment for our guide, Junior.  My camera and I survived a prank involving Ryan brushing a twig through my hair, me nonchalantly swatting it away because I was busy taking photos.  All was calm until our guide (sitting behind me in the boat) said, "Don't move, there's a giant......" to which my screaming and flailing arms drowned the remaining part of the sentence.

Our Borneo rain forest, jungle experience can be viewed in our photo album : Borneo Rainforest.

A preview of the album:

Proboscis Monkeys!!!




Pygmy Elephants!!!



Ryan and Virginia!!!








My attempt to make a joke of our lodging situation:
We brought a few pieces of chocolate from Kuala Lumpur.  We didn't know at the time, but they were to become not only a main food staple, but also a thermometer.  I placed them on the safe, if you had to lick the chocolate out of the wrapper, it was very hot.  If you were able to unwrap the chocolate, pick it up, and bite into it, you were incredibly lucky.  


And because our days down the river, in the jungle were a wonderful adventure, I will end with one of many beautiful sunsets experienced on a boat, on a river, in the middle of Borneo.  So thankful I had Ryan sitting next to me, experiencing each moment with me.  



If you wish to see the other photos, click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment