Thursday, July 18, 2013

SCUBA and Sea Turtles...

This time last year, Ryan and I were on an island in French Polynesia, enjoying a relaxing honeymoon. About this time last month, Ryan and I were on an island, a very tiny island off the coast of Borneo.  After surviving our days in the rain forest, we boarded a boat, and set off for Lankayan Island.  Ryan was excited for some amazing diving, I was excited for sea turtles.  We were also looking forward to relaxation and enjoying modern conveniences that the rain forest did not offer.


The island is incredibly small.  The restaurant, and dive center are located on piers off the island.  Ryan and I were able to walk around the entire island in about 10 minutes!  Ryan even swam around the entire island!! 


Lankayan Island is home to sea turtle conservation efforts.  They collect sea turtle eggs, place them in a hatchery for safety, and once the eggs hatch, they release the sea turtles back to the ocean.  I was told we would see a lot of sea turtles, and we did.  Each day we were able to watch turtles hatching, slowing coming out of the sand.  My favorite was their release to the ocean, their little flippers moving so quickly across the sand, and their final dip into the ocean.  One evening, we were able to view a sea turtle laying eggs.  Interesting experience, I was definitely surprised how large sea turtles are!




We are also the proud, adoptive parents of our own sea turtle nest.  I was told we would receive an email when our eggs hatch.  Based on the incubation period, I should hopefully hear something in the next couple weeks!


Ryan modeling his new shirt after we adopted our turtles.

As I ran around, watching sea turtles, catching some sun, and relaxing, Ryan was off diving.  He was able to get some really nice dives in, and try out his camera, underwater.  If you recall, I tried diving while we were in Egypt, and that was a big, fat fail.  Well, you may be surprised to know that I recently completed my online scuba class, and on August 3rd and 4th, I will be completing my open water dive certification.  I am going to need much encouraging, I am not overly confident I will succeed, but I have found a woman in the area that teaches diving, and I will be one-on-one.  Hopefully she is patient.  I like to refer to my upcoming dive training as drowning training.  But, I want to be able to join Ryan on his dives, and be able to share that experience with him.  I will keep you updated.





If you want to check out more adorable sea turtle pictures, and underwater dive pictures, check out our photo album from Lankayan Island.  Click HERE

A small addition to the previous post.  I came across a couple more pictures from our time "down the river" and wanted to share:

Awesome snack, purple potatoes.  

Our second lodge provided us with sarong material, and we were told to fashion them into an outfit and wear it to dinner that evening.  

A leaky sink?
The least of our worries in the middle of the rainforest, I quickly solved that problem.  




No comments:

Post a Comment