Monday, February 23, 2015

Mardi Gras 2015

I found myself walking around the house, collecting all the random items we caught/collected during Mardi Gras. Many of the items I decided to keep, knowing I could use them for decoration or wear during next year's Mardi Gras. One item in particular, a wooden spoon, has yet to be decided what to do. This was our first, official Mardi Gras as residents in Louisiana. I would not say Ryan and I went extreme with the celebrating, but we did experience a few parades and parties. It is difficult to fully express Mardi Gras in words, to fully appreciate everything Mardi Gras, one must attend and experience firsthand. If there is one thing I learned about Mardi Gras, people of New Orleans and Louisiana know how to have fun, and enjoy life.

First parades, Krewe du Vieux and Delusion...



Next parade was on the Northshore, Eve...


We travelled back to New Orleans for a Mardi Gras party, and saw a bit of Tucks as we made our way to Bourbon Street. 



Bourbon Street and I have never been friends, I do not like the crowds, the smells, etc. It is definitely something to experience, but after attending a Mardi Gras party on Bourbon Street, I have decided the best way to experience Mardi Gras and Bourbon Street is to be on a balcony, above the crowds, throwing beads to those on the street. So. Much. Fun!



I was selective with my bead throwing, any showing of body parts did NOT get you beads from me. I threw to the people that either didn't have beads, or had a look of fear on their face like they were going to get hit in the face with beads (similar to a look I usually have). I became very skilled with my bead throwing, making it into their open hands. Unfortunately, some of the recipients were too intoxicated to close their open hands around the beads resulting in the beads falling to the ground. The best "bead earning" award goes to the man that did push ups on Bourbon Street in order to receive a super fancy strand of beads, lights and all. 

The food was yummy, and thankfully the bar had an endless supply of water on the rocks for me. :)

This is what we termed "fishing." One of us on the balcony (this time Ryan) would string together multiple strands of beads, enough to reach the fish (people) below. The fisher (this time me) would slowly lower the line of beads over the railing to the waiting fish below. I wish we had video of this.


Throwing this picture in at the end, but was actually our first event leading to Mardi Gras celebrations. King Cake Festival. Sampling numerous types of King Cake. 

And to finish with a bit of Louisiana knowledge. The actual day of Mardi Gras, this year Tuesday, February 17th is an official holiday in Louisiana. Many businesses were closed, schools were closed, even Ryan's office was closed for the holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment