Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Currently in Istanbul...

Ryan and I safely arrived in Istanbul.  It was a long travel.  Vitaley picked us up at our apartment at 2:30 a.m. we arrived at Krasnodar airport at 5:00 a.m. We flew from Krasnodar to Moscow, Moscow to Istanbul and arrived in Istanbul at 12:00 local time. 

We took the shuttle our hotel provides to downtown Istanbul and spent a few hours exploring the city.  I decided I wanted to go "local" for dinner and we chose a small shop that offered sandwich wraps.  They carved the meat for the sandwich off a large piece hanging near the front window.  There were numerous shops that offered similar items, but we decided on the place that had the meat hanging inside rather than outside.  The sandwich was delicious.  We also stopped at a street vendor and purchased some sort of roasted food.  Ryan thought they were brains, but I thought they were chestnuts, "chestnuts roasted on an open fire!"  I google imaged chestnuts and I was correct.  It is a good thing we walked so much because we also stopped to taste "Turkish Delights" they are tiny little gel candy squares.

The weather started decently, but as the night progressed it became chilly and drizzly.  Ryan bought me a pretty scarf at a local shop.  I took a good amount of pictures today, during our walk along the water, and during our adventures downtown.  We have a tour schedule for Thursday afternoon and Friday morning.  Friday night we have a Bosphorus River dinner cruise scheduled.  I will be sure to take lots of pictures and will post once we return to Novorossiysk Monday.

Oh, I forgot to mention this!!!  I took my first city bus, and it was in Istanbul!!!  Pretty cool?!?!  We took a city bus from downtown, back to our hotel.  I think I may have had a bit too much fun on the ride, but it was something new and I was excited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment