Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Dubai

We returned to Novorossiysk Sunday after spending about a week in Dubai.  Ryan's main reason for travel was to attend a training session.  My main reason for travel was to attend tanning sessions.  We both successfully completed our sessions.

Dubai was simply wonderful.  I enjoyed the sun, the people, the city, the weather, my list could go on for quite some time.

To highlight the major points of our trip:

Burj Kahlifa: World's Tallest Building.  We went to the "top" 127th floor, but the guide said there was about 32 more floors above.  The view was impressive, as was the elevator, it took about a minute to reach the 127th floor.  Considering the speed of elevators in Russia, we were in awe (Russia needs to take notes).

Dubai Mall:  It wasn't just the fact that it was a mall, but the fact that it contained so much more than just stores.  Inside the mall was entrance to Burj Kahlifa, a spectacular waterfall fountain was located in one of the atriums, outside was the Dubai fountain which was choreographed to music, the Dubai Aquarium was also inside.  My main love in the aquarium were the penguins, gosh, it never fails, I just love penguins.  But rest assured, I did a fair share of shopping.

Ferrari World:  Located in Abu Dhabi, Ryan rented a car and drove us the hour to get there.  Very nice theme park.  I especially enjoyed the fact is what indoors and it was not incredibly busy, the crowds started to arrive as we were finishing up.  Ryan enjoyed all the cars, I enjoyed (Ryan too) the roller coasters.  We went on the World's Faster Coaster.  The picture of my hair says it all.

The Beach: Let me preface with, I dislike sand, I do not like when it sticks to me.  I dealt with the sand and enjoyed some time on the beach.  It is very relaxing to hear the waves.  The beach was a nice change from the pool.  But, the beach was missing something that the pool had, a bar.  The Sofitel had a pool bar that you could swim up to.  Dubai is very non-Russian when it comes to alcohol.  You can only purchase alcohol in hotels, and Ryan and I found out, you cannot purchase alcohol from 4 pm-6pm (religious reasons).  No worries, when it was only 4:15, we lounged in the pool and were first to order at 6 pm :).

The Weather: One thing was guaranteed everyday, sunshine and warmth, two of my greatest loves (other than Ryan...awwwww). :)  Warmth is down playing the weather, it was HOT!  I do not get hot very often, but when the thermostat is showing 100+ degrees and not a cloud in the sky, it can get a bit toasty.  It was not hot enough to keep me inside, the door men at the hotel always shook their heads when I declined a taxi and chose to walk and explore.

The Metro:  I love public transportation.  It's all so new to me!  The city bus in Istanbul was fantastic and the metro in Dubai was fabulous.  I have decided that I would like to settle in a location with large public transportation systems.  I greatly enjoyed catching the train to various locations.

I am sure there are things that I have forgotten and I will encourage Ryan to make a post including anything he would like to add.  I am so thankful I joined Ryan on this trip and was sad to see the trip come to an end.  I know coming from Russia made me appreciate Dubai more, but even if I had traveled directly from the states, I would still have been impressed.  It is a very well managed, clean, polite, interesting, and smooth running city.

Please enjoy the pictures...I got a new camera, so I had fun taking pictures. :)  I spent a lot of time adding in captions to better explain the pictures, etc.


This is a completely different topic, but I have to tell everyone what happened during the typing of this post.  I was sitting at the computer, and was at the point about explaining the weather.  I looked over and I saw Macy on the "hunt."  I figured she was just hunting flies again, she has recently taken on this task. Anywho, I notice she had "caught" something.  She was pawing at the bottom of one of our stereo speakers.   I saw a black thing crawl out and she pounced, putting her left paw on it.  This definitely caught my attention, so I had to investigate.  She probably stood for about 30 seconds, not moving, and not picking up her paw.  I figured this was a good time to grab a piece of paper in case I was needed for back up killing (I didn't know what she had, if anything under her paw).  She picked up her paw, and underneath was this awful looking black and white spotted bug.  Ugh, I am so thankful I had the paper.  I killed the nasty thing, disposed of him in the trash, and proceeded to praise Macy and give her treats.  I don't think I have ever been more proud of her.  Our dog is a bug hunter, saving me from awful critters!!!
*Too bad there wasn't a video of this event, I would have sent it to animal planet. 


No comments:

Post a Comment