Monday, May 2, 2011

Finally, I bring up the slack....

Hello Everyone! I know you have all been anxiously awaiting a post from me! ha, actually I am sure most of you were quite content reading what Virginia had to say...she is pretty awesome huh?!

Virginia and I just got back from dinner, ice cream, and walking the promenade. It was a beautiful day here in Novorossiysk, sunny with low winds (beginning to think that wasn't possible). It's interesting to think less than two years ago we were in Indianapolis either attending university or having just finished up. And now we are living in Russia, just goofy and very exciting. Here is a little update on what I have been up to this year....

After our pre-assignment trip, which Virginia filled you in on, I went to Abu Dhabi for a week with a short jaunt over to Dubai. Here are a couple pics from that trip...

 Single Point Mooring Buoy. This is the reason Ed (my colleague to the right) and I went to the UAE We were attending the fabrication kick-off meetings with the Buoy Contractor and CPC.  
The Sail Hotel, Dubai. 
Ed and I had to conduct some trickery to get this close. We were able to piggy back a group of vehicles going through the security gate. I tried to get him to valet our rental so  we could go into the hotel, but Ed decided a Nissan Sunny (rental, similar to GEO Metro) didn't really fit next to the Rolls Royce's and Italian supercars parked out front. 

I have a week training at the end of May in Dubai, so Virginia and I will be going back there at the end of this month. She is looking forward to the sun and beaches. I am looking forward to amazing Indian food, I know random, but it is amazing there. 

And we can't forget the amazing cake we had for my mom's birthday!  Happy birthday again! 


I have also made a trip to Aberdeen, Scotland this year but didn't take any pictures. I really enjoyed this trip b/c the training was very effective and I could read all the signs and restaurant menus! What a luxury being able to read the menus at a restaurant, hard to understand until you live somewhere you have no idea what it is your ordered day in and day out. 

Last week I was in Moscow where I was able to see the Russian military practice for the May Day (May 9th). May Day is the most significant Russian holiday as it is celebrating World War II ("The Great Patriotic War" in Russia). 

Russian Missile Launcher (Picture taken on the main boulevard in Moscow)

When I returned from Moscow, I came home to a dog slightly confused as to what species she actually belongs..."am I a cat or dog?" 



Last but not least, I saw quite an interesting site on my ride home from the airport in Krasnodar. I saw this out of the corner of my eye and it absolutely blew me away....look at the water faucet
Driving by this you don't register what's happening at first glance.

Well that's about all for me now. Virginia needs to order another book for our trip to Istanbul this week. She is starting her globe trotting this week and will continue with St. Petersburg, Dubai, Scotland, and London all in the next 6 weeks. 

Ryan

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm... You know your not supposed to publish your mother's age, or any women for that matter.

    ReplyDelete