Wednesday, May 18, 2011

St. Petersburg

No need to worry, we are still alive.

This past week has been incredibly busy.  Ryan left for business on Tuesday.  I flew to St. Petersburg to visit him Thursday.  We spent Friday-Sunday in St. Petersburg with another Chevron couple.  I flew back to Novorossiysk Sunday and Ryan flew to Moscow.  I accepted our sea shipment Monday.  Wait, let me repeat, OUR SEA SHIPMENT ARRIVED!!!!!  I spent Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday morning unpacking, sorting, organizing, and cleaning.  Everything is finally in order and I am now sitting to write a blog post.

Ryan is still in Moscow, he is flying home tomorrow (Thursday).  We leave for Dubai on Friday.  Ok, wait again, let me repeat, WE ARE GOING TO DUBAI!!!!!  Can you tell I am excited?  Bring on the warm weather and sun.  I am in desperate need of a tan, I am in close competition with Casper and would like to return more on the level of bronzed goddess.

I realize I titled this post St. Petersburg and that is the main reason for this post.  As I mentioned previously, Ryan and I, along with Tim and Li (Chevron couple in Novorossiysk) spent Friday-Sunday in St. Petersburg.  Ryan and Tim were outside of St. Petersburg for business and decided to fly the wives up for the weekend.  It was a very nice trip.  We were able to see two major areas, Peter the Great Summer Palace and The Hermitage, also known as Winter Palace.  The man had some excellent taste in buildings.

Personally, I enjoy more artifacts and architecture as opposed to paintings.  So I enjoyed the Summer Palace more.  Ryan enjoyed both, he was excited to see the Van Gogh and Rembrandt paintings.

If I had to choose, I would say I enjoyed St. Petersburg more than Moscow.  I felt like it was a more cheerful and airy atmosphere.

And, highlight of the trip.  Ryan scheduled to have a driver pick Li and me up from the airport.  Very nice man, holding a sign with my name on it, fooled us at first with his awesome English.  He gave us a very interesting ride to the hotel, filled with pointing out major historical buildings along the way, and I was able to practice my Russian a bit.  Best part of the entire ride was the last 60 seconds.  Traffic was horrible, so our lovely driver decided to take the Audi up on the sidewalk and drive.  We stopped at the corner, returned to the street and came to a stop in front of our hotel.
The conversation during the event went something like this:
Driver: "Excuse me ladies." As he drives up onto the sidewalk.  Li and I are cheering in the backseat.
Me: "Well, nothing like front door service at our hotel."
Driver: "It's a Russian thing" Referring to driving on the sidewalk.
Don't take it the wrong way.  He was an excellent driver and made for a very fun trip through St. Petersburg traffic.

Enjoy the photos!!!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment