Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Champagne+Cupcake

Champagne is good, cupcakes are good, put the two together, and you have a celebration.  

My original purpose behind making champagne cupcakes was simply to try a new recipe.  Since I baked these lovely creations (last Friday), many reasons to celebrate have appeared.

it was Friday....let's celebrate!
Champagne was present.......let's celebrate!
One year until Sochi olympics.......let's celebrate!
Going to South Africa.......let's celebrate!
Running water.......let's celebrate!....?
?Allow me to explain that last item of celebration.  As I type this blog, I currently have a bathtub full of mysteriously odd colored Russian water.  My reason for filling the bathtub?  We were told that at 8 a.m. this morning (Tuesday) the water would be shut off, until 5 p.m. Wednesday for the entire city of Novorossiysk (apparently a water pump station in a neighboring city was in need of repair)!!!  Close to 48 hours without running water, panic!  Luck was in our favor today, 8 o'clock came and went, and the water is still on.  Now, the question remains, when will it be shut off?  So, until we are ready to walk out the door tomorrow morning to catch our flight to Moscow, my tub will remain full of the mysteriously odd colored, Russian water.
This leads me to another reason.....
Learning to flush a toilet with a bucket of water in preparation for the "Great Novorossiysk Water Shut Off 2013......let's celebrate!

Let's refocus, champagne cupcakes.  Friday morning, I began my celebration.  My normally nutritious breakfast plans flew out the balcony window with the champagne cork.  My morning would include baking, while sipping a mimosa, and then feasting on my creation (I did have a banana just to make myself feel healthy).
Mimosa+champagne cupcake.....let's celebrate!

I realize it is sparkling white wine, but it is local, and it had a Sochi Olympic emblem.  I felt it was only appropriate because it was a year to the day of the opening ceremony for the Sochi Winter Olympics 2014. 
 While baking champagne cupcakes, a responsible baker must sip a mimosa.  
Since Ryan and I will celebrate this Valentine's Day in Moscow, I decided to make a mini champagne cake, along with many cupcakes.
I went back and forth on what to top the cupcakes with, I ultimately decided on a champagne glaze, not as heavy as frosting, and with a drop of red food coloring to make it pink.



We recently had a couple new dinners worth celebrating....... 

First time making crab cakes, much lighter (baked, not fried), and very tasty.  Topped with a cajun flavored sauce, and served with a carrot buckwheat side dish.  

Also, first time making enchiladas.  I am not a fan of the messy red sauces that drown the poor, little enchiladas.  It seems you spend more time searching for the enchilada, and then eating a soggy mess. I consider these to be more like chicken fajita enchiladas.  Love seeing the enchiladas not drowning in the sea of red sauce, and loved the crispy edges on the tortillas.  Served with a thrown together corn, bean, tomato, etc. etc, side dish.  


Now, let me think of something else to celebrate so I can make more champagne cupcakes........



No comments:

Post a Comment