Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Oil Draft

Over the past few years I have learned quite a bit about the oil industry, but there is one thing I still have not completely figured out (maybe it's my inexperience with the process), it's what I like to refer to as the Oil Draft. When it comes to professional sports, football in particular, I know next to nothing, so when I compare the oil industry to the professional sports industry, have patience with me sports fans.

The Oil Draft, kind of like the NFL, NBA, etc. draft.  A time comes when a player (employee) is available to move to a different team (project).  For Chevron, this happens twice a year, once in the Spring (March), and again in the Fall (October).  During this process employees that are moving to a new job assignment are entered into what I refer to as the Oil Draft. Ryan is currently taking part in this process.

We have known for months Ryan would take part in the Spring PDC (Chevron's actual term, I believe it stands for Project Determination Committee).  Since the start of the New Year, Ryan has been checking the database as jobs were posted.  He was receiving daily emails notifying him when jobs posted.  He spoke frequently with his Sponsor and colleagues about various projects, and it all came down to the week before we left for Jackson, he narrowed down his choices to his Top 5.

During this process I went back and forth with my emotions.  I have a problem, I think too much.  I plan too much.  I organize too much.  This process was much harder than I expected.  One moment I would tell Ryan I did not want to know anything about what jobs were posting, the next, I wanted to know everything.  As locations were brought up, I would ignore them, then, I would research everything possible detail.

Our week in Jackson was spent not discussing anything job related.  But, once we landed in Houston, everything started up again, and in full force.  It was daily meetings, phone calls, emails with various people.  One minute his Top 5 were not an option, the next minute they were the only option.  One email said he should post for this job, and the next email would come from someone else, saying he should go with a different job.  Each email, phone call, and meeting left us with a different option.  My mind was on overload.  Too much to think about.

Last week, a Top 3 was determined.  Two locations that were on the original Top 5 and one new location.  My problem surfaced again, I had to plan, organize, think, and then think some more.  One location in particular was causing me much concern, we would not be able to take Macy.  It would require very lengthy veterinary process that is impossible to accomplish in Russia, or a very lengthy quarantine.  Thanks to my parent's and their willingness to always help out, they were fine with taking their grand pup back in.  Knowing that they would care for Macy, put my mind at ease.

Just when I became accustomed to all the changes, and daily notifications about jobs, it stopped.  We have not heard anything since last Friday.  As I type this, as you read this, the meetings are currently taking place in Houston!  I have no idea what is being discussed or decided on in the meetings.  Ryan was told that we he would receive an email, once all meetings were completed, informing him of his next job assignment.

I have thought through all the possible assignments, and I am honestly excited for each possibility.  They all have their pros and cons.  I will not go into detail about the possibilities, I do not want to jinx us.  For now, we sit, we wait, and we will let everyone know when the time comes.

While Ryan and I are thinking about a million and one things, there is one resident that remains relaxed.  She does not let anything stress her out.  As long as there are yum yums on time, a place to snooze, and someone to snuggle with, she is relaxed.

Precious.
Love them so much! 
P.S. Thanks for reading until this point.  It eases my stress when I put my thoughts into words. :)

P.P.S I am sure Ryan would also like to thank you for reading to this point.  The fact I just typed a novel, means he will have to hear less of my ramblings about my "thoughts of the day" in regards to this new job assignment waiting game. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment