Monday, March 3, 2014

We're Back

It seems I have gone far too long since my last blog post.  It also seems this trend has been more common in the past few months, but no need to lose patience, we're back, and I have returned to the blog.  Every time we return to our apartment, my days are full restocking the refrigerator, cleaning, and laundry.  Those in a modern city may find all these tasks trivial, and easily accomplished, but to me, it takes almost a week.  It is Monday, we returned last Tuesday, and today, I have finally finished almost all our dirty laundry from our trip, I have one more load to wash.  With the laundry caught up, my mind is a bit more at ease, and I am able to share with everyone what we have been up to.  

Jackson Hole and the surrounding area, is an incredibly beautiful portion of the United States.  I spoke previously about my fear of surviving the bitter cold, but I was very fortunate.  The weather was in the low 30s.  As much as the weather was on my side, it was not on Ryan's.  He was not able to participate in his heliskiing trip.  Too much snowfall, low clouds, and the elevated risks of avalanches caused the company to cancel the trip.  It may not have happened this trip, but it will happen.  I like to think it was not cancelled, just postponed until a later date.  Now, Ryan will have to plan another snowboarding trip, whether it is in Jackson or somewhere else, is up for him to decide.  I do not foresee him having a problem with planning another snowboarding trip.

I speak for Ryan, but I believe I am correct to say his day spent in the backcountry was his most favorite experience of the trip.  Our Monday in Jackson brought perfect weather with beautiful blue skies.  Ryan spent the day hiking to a peak, and then snowboarding down.  Backcountry is a much different experience than resorts.  No other people are around and your tracks are the only ones.  Ryan did go with a guide, and the guide did an excellent job capturing photographs.  









I love this picture!




View more pictures of Ryan's backcountry day in the Backcountry Photo Album.

While Ryan was busy hiking to the top of mountains and snowboarding down, I spent the day touring Yellowstone National Park.  I have finally witnessed Old Faithful.  I was also able to spot some bison.  I thought the bison would be more prevalent in the area, but they were being extra sneaky.  As much as I do not like the cold, and snow, but it was the massive amounts of snow that made the park seem magical. To have every inch of the park I explored to be covered by feet of untouched, unpolluted snow, was beautiful.  If I had to find myself surrounded by snow, this would be the exact surrounding I would want to find myself in.  Also, it was a very unique feeling to view boiling hot springs while having snow fall around you.  I was in love with all the snow, but my day was made much better thanks to two couples from a very small town in Georgia.  I have never had a more fun tour experience, than this one.  My new friends from Georgia were very entertaining.  You will find a picture of my four new friends in the photo album.

A few pictures from my tour are below, but if you wish to view the entire album, you can reach the album from this link: Yellowstone Photo Album.  If you are viewing the pictures, and some seem out of place, they are.  My pictures did not upload correctly, again.  I tried my best to put them in correct order.


One of my new friends had a lot of fun using my "fancy camera" (his words).
Notice the man behind me shoveling the snow off the roof. 









Stay tuned for part two of our time in Jackson.  We were busy searching for moose, mingling with elk, snowshoeing, and cheating on Macy, during a day of dogsledding (awesome experience!).  


No comments:

Post a Comment