Thursday, April 11, 2013

Dinner Challenge: 2nd Edition

Ryan's birthday dinner was a result of a dinner "challenge."  Ryan chose an ingredient(s) for each course, and I had to creatively create a meal with the chosen ingredients.  The dinner challenge was entertaining for both of us;  I greatly enjoyed creating the meal, Ryan greatly enjoyed discovering how I used the ingredients, and tasting the result.  The success led us to a monthly dinner challenge, and last week we devoured April's dinner challenge.

Business meetings took Ryan to Moscow for the first week of April, and I planned to have our dinner challenge meal also be his welcome home dinner.  Prior to leaving for Moscow, he thought of the next chosen ingredients for April's dinner challenge.  Actually, shortly after his birthday dinner, we was already contemplating what the next ingredients would be.  He settled on the following:

Appetizer: Apples
Side Dish: Tofu/Eggplant
I started searching for tofu as soon as he chose it, but was unsuccessful in locating tofu.  I then asked for an alternative ingredient, eggplant was chosen.
Main Dish: Scallops
Dessert: Red, White, and Blue Crunch

Initially, I was very surprised Ryan only chose one ingredient for each dish (excluding dessert), but ultimately decided to be as creative as I possibly could with the one ingredient.  So, given the ingredients listed above, what would you create?  Ready to see what we feasted on?

*Everything is from scratch, only one item was purchased "pre made".  

Appetizer: Apples
Chunky, Honey Applesauce served on toasted parmesan "chips"
The drink for the meal was Hard Apple Cider (the one pre made item- I am not about to attempt homemade hard cider).

Side Dish: Eggplant
I decided to add an extra course to the meal, and serve a vegetable "salad" prior to the main dish.
Roasted Eggplant stuffed with tomato, celery, carrots, onion, zucchini, and a sprinkling of parmesan. 

Main Dish: Scallops
Baked Ravioli filled with Scallops, basil, and parmesan.  Topped with fresh tomato sauce.
On the side, Eggplant "breadsticks" served with an extra "shot" of tomato sauce for dipping.
After making ravioli WITHOUT a pasta maker or ravioli cutter, I have officially added pasta maker to my list of kitchen items I need to acquire.  

Dessert: Red, White, and Blue Crunch
Wanting to tie in the apples from the first course, I decided on grilled RED apple rings, topped with Cheesecake (WHITE) mousse, and BLUEberry reduction.  Served with a spoonful of CRUNCHy Honey Roasted Peanuts for sprinkling.  

The ingredients for May's Dinner Challenge have yet to be decided.  
I wonder what Ryan will think of next, 
and what I will create.....

No comments:

Post a Comment