Monday, April 22, 2013

Traveling Tastebuds

If I ever decided to create a cookbook, I would title it Traveling Tastebuds.  I would feature recipes from different areas of the world, foods that remind me of our travels, and the joys (struggles) of expat cooking.  As much as cooking in Russia is a challenge, and I have accumulated multiple substitutions and alternatives over the years, we would need another expat assignment (fingers crossed) before I could truly include expat cooking in my cookbook.

For the time being, I continue to cook in Russia, and travel when the opportunity arises.  It has been nearly eight weeks since our return from South Africa, and the travel itch is fully present (relief is in the near future).  I decided that since our bodies were not traveling anywhere last week, I would let our tastebuds do the traveling....

After the purchase of my new blender, we successfully made Margaritas!!
We are bringing a bit of Mexico (or Houston) to Russia.

What pairs nicely with Margaritas?
Fish tacos/salad.  Paired with corn salsa, and gazpacho.  Topped with avocado sauce.  

After our wine tasting in Rome, we purchased this bottle of wine (my favorite).
I decided it was time to recreate Italy, and crack open the bottle.

Ryan was talking about Bosco sticks a couple weeks ago, I surprised him, and made homemade Bosco sticks!  In an attempt to counteract the carbs, I made pasta free, zucchini-prosciutto lasagna.
I loved the lasagna, and was pretty impressed with my Bosco sticks!

All the places you travel, nothing really beats coming home, to comfort.
Milk and cookies.
Well, Cookie Crisp cereal bars with PB & Chocolate topping.

Summer cannot arrive soon enough, so I decided to make our dinner a summer theme.
Crab Cakes with Spicy Lime Sauce, and Zucchini Salad.  
I really need to be better about writing down ingredients and measurements while I cook.  When I am pleased with a meal, I have a tendency to forget what I threw in, or how much.  At least I have pictures to help remind me.


No comments:

Post a Comment