Tuesday, April 2, 2013

What we ate....

It was suggested to me that I check out a certain blog, and cookbook.  I did both, and in turn purchased the cookbook.  When I first received the cookbook, I browsed through the recipes, drooled a bit over some of the creations, and ultimately was a bit bummed that many of the ingredients were just not found here.  I decided I would place the cookbook on the shelf, and use it when we lived somewhere other than Russia.  Well, I recently saw the cookbook on the shelf, once again, flipped through the pages, and decided to make something work.

My goal, create something new with chicken.  It seems chicken is one of our main staple foods.  The red meat is tough (extremely), and we may have had a bad run in with pork (once or twice).  It's not that I don't occasionally venture out, but usually chicken wins.  So, using the cookbook: What Katie Ate, incorporating substitutions, this is what we ate.....

Making the spicy rub mix (almost all spices have been imported from the States)

The recipe is Poussin with spicy rub and grilled lime.  I was definitely going to be making some substitutions....

Vegetables and limes all cut up.  I love, love, love pictures of vegetables, and all their colors.   I added the vegetables to the recipe, have to make sure we are getting our daily servings (and variety)!

I hate, hate, hate raw meat, but I wanted to document all the changes that took place.  Poussin, no, I went with a regular, whole chicken.  Grill, no, no grills in Russia.  So I decided on an oven bag (another import from the States).  It was a very convenient way to cook everything together.  

Ryan came home as I was preparing to make our side dish, and decided to help out.  Definitely had to document Ryan in the kitchen....

He was quite the Top Chef.  I made the filling, he filled the mushrooms, perfect teamwork....

  The rub looks a bit dark in the picture, but it's not burnt, it nicely roasted on the chicken, and was delicious, very flavorful.
This rub on grilled chicken would be fantastic for a summer dinner, your tastebuds would celebrate. 
As I type this blog, I am flipping through the cookbook, and I think I may see a few more recipes I will have to make some substitutions for, but will definitely be worth it.  Also, the cookbook is a lovely collection of food photography, I need to close it before I get hungry.....
If you wish, check it out (blog or cookbook) What Katie Ate.  

No comments:

Post a Comment