Monday, April 29, 2013

Being a tourist....

The weather was beautiful yesterday, something I do not experience often in Moscow.  From our hotel, it is a very short walk to Red Square.  I wanted to tour inside St. Basil's and visit the museum.  I grabbed my camera, and decided to be a tourist.

I walked pass the Bolshoy Theatre, and stopped to stare.  It does not matter how many times I pass it in a vehicle, nor pass it on foot, it is still an incredibly beautiful sight.  As is always the case, I had to stop for a few pictures.




I continued, and made my way to Red Square.  Again, it does not matter how many times I walk through Red Square, I always pause at some point.  I am standing inside Red Square......

The area was alive with tourists.  Many workers were busy setting up for Victory Day (May 9th).  The weather was beautiful, I crossed Red Square, and read the sign.  Museum Closed.  I guess I would have to wait for a different day to tour inside St. Basil's.  One positive, as I was leaving, I was able to view the changing of the guards at Moscow's Tomb of the Unknown Solider.










Yesterday was a nice warm up for Amsterdam.  I am very ready to be a tourist in Amsterdam.  We have had some change in plans, our side trip to Brussels has been cancelled.  Difficulty with booking train tickets, websites not accepting non-European credit cards, and my realization that I was trying to do too much in too little time, all led to the decision to cancel.  Not necessarily cancel, but postpone, there is always next year's May holiday......

No comments:

Post a Comment