Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Amsterdam: chocolate, canals, and clogs (among other things)

After our tulip adventure, we spent the remaining days in Amsterdam sleeping in, relaxing, and enjoying everything Amsterdam had to offer.  The next day, we originally had planned to take the train to Brussels, but with all the complications in obtaining tickets, we passed on that idea.  I will admit, one of the main reasons for going to Brussels was to feast on chocolate, while sightseeing.  Since we were in Amsterdam, and I knew Amsterdam had to have chocolate, we did our own chocolate crawl, Amsterdam style.  Hot chocolate, chocolate shops, and coffee shops to obtain "special" chocolate treats.    Along the way, we stopped at the Houseboat Museum, Heineken Experience, and Dam Square.

First chocolate stop, Puccini.

Wandering among canals, and houseboats. 

On a mission to find first coffee shop, a lovely Mother/Daughter run location. 

Success!
Hot chocolate and chocolate brownie. 
Conversation that took place approximately an hour after this photo was taken:
Ryan: "Are you feeling anything?"
Virginia: "Nope.  I just feel really calm."
Ryan: "You are never calm, it must be working. 
Hanging out on the Houseboat patio. 

Papa Chevron does not allow Ryan to enjoy the "special" chocolate treats.
He found a Ben & Jerry's and was very happy!


The next couple days in Amsterdam were spent exploring the nearby area.  We hopped on the train, and were off to see clogs, windmills, and castles. 

Just my size.
We were able to watch a man make a pair of clogs, and we purchased a small, souvenir  pair. 

A quick photo after our boat cruise around the area.  

Sampling more Amsterdam pastries.  I already approved of the brownie, and cupcake.
I had to give cake a try.  It was my favorite.
In the photo album, you can see my trip to the Bulldog coffee shop, in honor of Butler. 

I consumed about a month's worth of food in the five days in Amsterdam.  We visited this man's waffle and ice cream shop three times!  I could not get enough!

Our castle adventure.

No pictures from this experience, but we did wander through the Red Light District.  We also visited the Anne Frank house.  After reading her journal multiple times, it was an eyeopening tour.  I could not imagine hiding for over two years, and the ending that resulted.  Our last evening in Amsterdam, Ryan booked a dinner cruise.  The perfect way to experience the canals during the daylight, and as the sunset, seeing the bridges covered in light.  


I only gave a small preview of our pictures.  The architecture in Amsterdam is incredible.  I love the rows of houses, the houseboats, and the canals.  People call Amsterdam "The Venice of the North" and in all honesty, I would go back to Amsterdam before I returned to Venice.  So many things to do, plus the people were much more friendly!  My only complaint about Amsterdam: the bike lanes!  Firstly, bikes were everywhere!  Secondly, you can't hear them!  Thirdly, they make the bike lanes too easy to walk on!  The sidewalks have other people, benches, parked bikes, trash cans, so any reasonable pedestrian, would be drawn to the lovely, bricked, open spot next to the sidewalk.  Be forewarned, you step into that area, it is every man for themselves.  I swore I was going to get hit by a bike, but somehow I managed to dodge each near miss.  

Enjoy the beauty of Amsterdam, our adventures, and my coffee shop experiences in:

For our fellow expat friends, you understand.  For our non-expat friends, this is what happens when you see a shop advertising "American Groceries."  
We quickly went in and purchased the four most expensive grocery items to date.  It doesn't matter, you can't put a cost on American groceries when you live in Russia.  Oreos, Skippy Peanut Butter, Peanut Butter M&Ms, and hiding behind the Oreos, French's Yellow Mustard.  
We were very happy Americans!


No comments:

Post a Comment