Thursday, May 23, 2013

Twice in one month...


We had another dinner challenge.  Last Saturday, Ryan returned from a business trip to Moscow (and is currently on another business trip in Moscow) and I welcomed him home with a second dinner challenge for the month of May.  Why twice in one month?  I will be leaving for a trip with Ryan in less than three weeks (insert big smile here), and after that trip, I will fly home to the States (insert huge smile here, with small happy dance).  I will be out of Russia for the entire month of July, so in order to “catch up” May had two dinner challenges.  Ok, let me just be honest.  I find the dinner challenges highly entertaining, so I thought of an “excuse” to make it twice in one month.  

What were the ingredients?  Cheddar Cheese, Coffee, and Barbecue Sauce!  All three ingredients, incorporated in each dish.  Ready, create!

I went with a "Travel back to Houston" theme.  Remembering our drinks and appetizer gatherings, summer backyard barbecues, and comfort desserts.    

Appetizer:
Happy Hour Drinks and Appetizers
Mashed Potato-Cheddar Cheese-Bacon Bites.  Served with espresso cup of Coffee-Barbecue Sauce.
The drink of the night was Sparkling Apple Juice (Champagne + a splash of Apple Juice)
The appetizer was created after I couldn't decide between a meatball appetizer or stuffed potato skin appetizer.  I decided to "combine" the two.  
 Main Course:

Summer Backyard Cookout
Shrimp Burgers on Cheddar Bacon Biscuits.
Served with a coffee cup full of coffee roasted carrot "fries"
During Ryan's decision process, and thinking about the challenge ingredients, he thought about adding shrimp to the list of ingredients.  Ultimately, he did not, but I decided to use shrimp anyway (only for the main course). 
 Dessert:

Comfort Desserts
A coffee cup full of, Apple Cobbler (cheddar cheese in the topping) with vanilla ice cream.  Topped with warm chocolate (and BBQ) ganache drizzle and a dollop of coffee whipped cream.
I figure apples and cheddar cheese are a good snack, why not add cheddar cheese to an apple cobbler.  Spicy chili added to dark chocolate is good, so why not BBQ sauce.
Again, Ryan was nervous about the dessert, but once again, he greatly enjoyed it.

And a small endnote.  This was not the first time, and it will definitely not be the last time.  I had a cooking mishap.  I burned myself reaching into the stove.  I blamed the oven mitten for being too short, but in all honesty, it was user error.  Always the resourceful cook, I bypassed the ice cube on burn, and grabbed the chilled bottle of champagne.  No need to worry about melting ice, and water running down your arm.....

Difficult to see in the picture, but I have a nice, little burn on my arm.  

1 comment:

  1. I get such a kick out of this! I will probably just live through you, but I absolutely love, love your culinary creations.

    ReplyDelete