Friday, May 17, 2013

May Dinner Challenge

The challenge involved three ingredients, to be used in each dish.  Originally, Ryan only chose two ingredients, very easy to use ingredients, but then a third was thrown into the mix.

The two original ingredients were Pistachios and Honey.  Easy, simple, plenty of dishes came to mind.  BUT, I went to the grocery store, and found the one ingredient I could not find for last month's dinner challenge....TOFU!  I was so excited they had tofu in stock I bought a few containers.  In my state of excitement, I proudly showed Ryan, and he added it to the dinner challenge. WHAT?!?!  I had to rethink the dinner challenge, how was I going to possibly use tofu in dessert!?!?

No need to worry, I was determined.  Allow me to proudly present our latest dinner challenge:

Ingredients:
Pistachios - Tofu - Honey

I have way too much fun with the dinner challenges, and I thought a menu would add a nice touch.
For the drink, I made lemonade with some added alcohol.
 Appetizer:

Tofu Nuggets
Pistachio crusted, baked tofu nuggets, served with Pineapple-Honey dipping sauce.
 Main Course:

Ham and Cheese Sandwich
Serrano Ham with Goat Cheese-Pistachio spread, served on warm Honey Cornbread
Tomato Soup
Creamy Tomato-Tofu Soup, served with Honey Cornbread Croutons
 Dessert:

Cake and Ice Cream
Pistachio Cake, served with Honey-Tofu Ice Cream
Earlier in the day, Ryan told me it was acceptable if I left tofu out of the dessert.  When I served the tofu ice cream, he seemed a bit worried, but then he tried it, and liked it!  That's right, tofu ice cream!

I wanted to use the tofu in completely different ways for each dish:  Simply sliced, coated and baked in the appetizer.  Pureed in the soup and spread for the main dish.  And blended, frozen into ice cream for the dessert.  I honestly believe, if someone didn't know the "ice cream" was really tofu, they would never be able to tell. 

My favorite item from the evening was the pistachio cake, orange zest and cardamom made for a very tasty treat, may be one of my new favorite cakes.  Ryan seemed to enjoy everything, but he really went crazy for the Tomato-Tofu soup.

Refusing to allow Russia to hinder our meals, creating delicious dishes, letting our tastebuds travel!

No comments:

Post a Comment