Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Rangiroa

We only stayed one night in Tahiti before hopping on a plane and flying to Rangiroa.  Ryan has wanted to become certified in Scuba diving, and what better place than French Polynesia?  Rangiroa is known as one of the best diving islands in the area.  Originally, I was a bit worried about Rangiroa, I heard there was not much on the island, and since I wasn't planning to dive, I didn't know what I was going to do.  I was completely wrong!  What more do you need when there is beautiful weather, warm sunshine, and multiple areas to lay out?  Rangiroa immediately won our hearts, and we enjoyed all 5 days.



Ryan spent the first few mornings diving, and was certified after 3 days.  He was able to capture some really cool videos and pictures with his GoPro, but I will save that blog post for him.

One afternoon we went to Rangiroa's Pearl Farm, where they have the famous Tahitian Black Pearls!  It was a free tour, until my eyes landed on a beautiful necklace!  I was also able to experience "popping" a pearl out of an oyster.  It was an "interesting" experience, and the guy gave me the pearl, when Ryan bought my necklace!



Another afternoon, we decided to set out on bicycles and explore the island.  With only one road, we figured we couldn't get lost.  Our friend, Willy told us we could ride to town (about 10 kilometers away).  Ryan and I peddled and peddled, until we came to the end of the road.  Ryan turns around and looks at me, I look at Ryan, "Did you see town?  I think we missed it?"

We also spent an entire day at Blue Lagoon.  It is an area about an hour boat ride from our hotel.  We were told by everyone that this was an incredibly beautiful area, and they were not lying.  I walked around the water with sharks.  Ryan was much more brave, and swam with them.  They were black-tip sharks, so nothing great white, but a shark is a shark.


Here is the link to the remaining pictures from Blue Lagoon:


Thinking back on our Honeymoon and our different experiences, we decided that Rangiroa was our favorite.  We both really appreciated the simplicity of the island.  I found ample time to read on the beach or by the pool.  Ryan was able to successfully complete his diving certification.  Everything and everyone was very relaxed, laid back, and simple.  In the words of Willy (hotel employee),
"you're on an island, there is no time."   


Here is the link to the remaining Rangiroa photos:

No comments:

Post a Comment