Sunday, September 16, 2012

A lucky find and a delicious creation

During a recent grocery trip, I stumbled upon a lucky find in the baking section.  Each trip, regardless of whether I need anything particular, I always browse the selections.  Many times I do not discover anything new, or worth buying, but this time I found packets of shredded coconut.  I know, big deal, every grocery store has shredded coconut.  It was a big deal for me, it was a first and lucky find.  I didn't know what I was going to make, but I was determined to create something delicious.  As I like to refer to as "Russian hoarding syndrome"  I quickly snatched a few packets (being nice to leave packets remaining for any other fortunate expat wives).

I now had shredded coconut and the question, "What am I going to create?!?!"  First thoughts were something sweet, but I eventually decided on Coconut Cashew Chicken.  We were going to take our coconut, and "travel" somewhere tropical with this dinner.

First step was to cut the chicken breasts into tender sizes and soak in a creamy coconut milk and yogurt bath.  My extreme dislike for raw meat (worst part of cooking) means no pictures, but it was happily "chilling" in the refrigerator.
Time to make the coating.  Coconut and cashews finely chopped in the food processor.   Throw in some chocolate and this would make an AWESOME ice cream topping.  Gosh, I'm such a fat kid. 

Coconut and cashews were mixed with bread crumbs.  Coating done, set aside.

A side dish to accompany the chicken.  Coconut rice.  In my never ending quest to increase vegetable consumption, I added onions and peas to the rice.  To add the coconut flare, I replaced some water with leftover coconut milk that was not used in the chicken bath.  

Cooking foul.  Rice is sneaky, it will fall out of the smallest opening in a bag.
Rice:1 Virginia: 0
I must mention this, I was able to control my OCD long enough to finish preparing the meal BEFORE vacuuming!!
Rice:1 Virginia: 2
(one point for not letting the rice bother me and one point for OCD control).
Hey, I'm the cook, I make the rules in the kitchen! :)

A little rice sauna.  

This next item is basically what convinced me to make this dinner.  An extremely yummy dipping sauce.  Everything found here except Argo cornstarch.  The recipe called for guava jelly, but I substituted with the Orange Marmalade with Champagne.
 Consider it Mimosa in jelly form, what isn't there to love!?!?!

So yummy. 


Chicken with coating, ready for the oven.
I prepared the coating, rice, and sauce, then waited until Ryan got home to coat the chicken and bake.  It worked out really well, plus Ryan was able to do this step.  

Hungry? Starving!

A meal isn't complete without lots of color.  Throw in some fresh sliced bell peppers and let the feast begin! 
Ironically, or more like typical, I visited this grocery store again this week, and there was NO shredded coconut to be found.  Good thing I was a hoarder and bought extra packets.  Now the question is, what will I do with the rest?  Look for a sweet treat blog posting in the near future.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment