Sunday, September 30, 2012

Осенью в России

Translation: Autumn in Russia

It's that time of year.  As much as I LOVE the sunshine and warmth of summer, there is something about the changing seasons and the start of fall that brings me great joy.  I enjoy having the windows open in the morning, and the chilly morning air blowing in, or walks in the evening when a light jacket or cardigan is needed.  

Unfortunately, I am not able to experience some of my other favorite fall activities.  I desperately want to go to an apple orchard and a pumpkin patch.  One piece of good news, my Russian instructor has a few apple trees at her dacha and for the last few weeks, she has supplied me with bagfuls of apples.  Delicious, crisp, just the perfect size apples.

Since I am always attempting to make our apartment a bit more "homey" I have decided to decorate for the autumn season.  It has proven itself quite difficult, but I am always up for the challenge.  This week, I visited a couple different markets.  Going to the market is like going to a giant garage sale, or flea market.  It is an outdoor setup where multiple people have small stalls, filled with the most random assortment of items.  If you are patient, and enter the experience with an open mind, you can actually have a lot of fun.

My market hunting was successful and now our apartment is ready to welcome the autumn season.  No need to contact Better Homes & Gardens, I will not win any prize for these decorations, unless they have a Russia category.  

A potentially carve-able pumpkin!
He isn't a big, orange pumpkin, and he doesn't know it yet, but when Ryan and I return from Italy, we are carving him!!
Best 55 roubles spent (about $2)!

Beautiful autumn colors.  The flowers were actually purchased a week ago, and are still going strong.  Does anyone know the name of this flower?  It comes in a variety of colors, and lasts forever.

I found this little guy at the market, hiding on a shelf.  I am starting to think the Russians are finding American women (or just me) to be very odd.  I get SO excited over the smallest things.  This pumpkin and the white one brought much celebration.  

Put on your creative caps for this one.
This is actually a potholder.  And going with the tree theme,  the little glass dish reminded me of an acorn!  I actually put coffee beans in the dish with a tea light candle, supposedly the candle heats the coffee beans and gives off a coffee scent.  I have not been very successful with the coffee aroma (yes, I take the lid off the dish).  Any suggestions? 

My little jack-o-lantern at night.  He brings me great joy.  
Once I return from Italy, I will again visit the markets, searching for another pumpkin to carve.  I hope Ryan and I will each have our own, if not, it will be a team effort for the current white one.  Look for future pictures!

Now, if only I could go to Starbuck's and get a pumpkin spiced latte.........

No comments:

Post a Comment