Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Mangrove Tour

*This is my 100th post*

During our stay on Bintan Island, we decided to book a small excursion.  It was a great opportunity to see another area of the island, and tour something that Bintan Island considers very important.  Mangrove Trees are no longer cut down, and preservation organizations are working to maintain the trees and their surroundings.  

Our tour concluded with a coconut treat.  Based on our experience with the coconut: 1. Ryan and I would not manage well stranded on an island...2. Ryan learned what part of the coconut to eat....3. I learned how much coconut water is actually in a coconut...4.We decided that #1 is no longer true, we feel we learned how to adequately cut and consume a coconut.  (I still prefer buying coconut in a bag at the grocery store)

Monkey.


Our tour guide's office. 


Safety first, our tour included insurance.  Not sure if it made me feel safer, or more worried.  Was there a reason they provided insurance?  And why is my life only worth 10,000 Singapore dollars?

Mangrove Tree.

In the past, Mangrove trees were cut to produce charcoal.  This is a remaining hut where the charcoal was produced. 

Crazy roots.


Mama Mangrove.  The oldest tree in the area. 

Ryan took this picture.  Our boat captain spotted a snake, and felt it was necessary to stop the boat, UNDER the tree where Mr. Snake was napping.  Seriously, I spent the entire time wishing for him to move the boat, and just waiting for a snake to fall in the boat.  

We learned there are 3 different types of roots.  Pencil.

Wave.

Another monkey. (not one of the root types)

Knee.

Low tide, so we could see the crabs crawling out of their holes.  (Right side of photo)



The great coconut experience.
Comment of the experience, "Crunch....Ryan, are you sure you are supposed to eat that part?"

"I don't think we can possibly drink all this."




That's all friends.  Our time in Singapore and Indonesia was fantastic and memorable.  I am thankful I was able to join Ryan in Singapore, and that Ryan was able to plan our weekend trip to Indonesia.
I look forward to future travel in 2012.

1 comment:

  1. Thankfully, I have taken my contacts out and could not see Mr. Snake in your photo... not that I examined it very thoroughly, but he did not pop out at me. Also, I am positive that I would've had a heart attack if I had been in that boat. Well, either that or I would've gone crazy on the captain until he got me far away from that thing. You are far braver than me.

    ReplyDelete