Thursday, March 15, 2012

Singapore Botanical and Orchid Gardens

As our time in Singapore was ending, and we were down to our last couple days, I felt it was time to relax, get away from all the "hustle and bustle" of the city.  I still remained in the city, but after just a short, 15 minute walk from our hotel, I arrived at the gates of the Singapore Botanical Gardens.  I planned my adventure very well, or at least, I thought I did.

After breakfast, shortly after Ryan left for training, I left the hotel.  I figured, it was early, not as hot, not as humid, and greater chance that less people would be out.  I was wrong in every aspect, except for early.  I love hot weather, but being surrounded by the massive amount of plants in the garden, and all the humidity that accompanies their presence, literally made the air thick.  Large numbers of people were already out, runners (couldn't figure out how they were possibly running in that environment), mothers with strollers, and the ever present tourist groups.  My short morning trip turned into a few hours and into the early afternoon.

Every hour was completely worth it, and at the time, didn't realize how long I was gone.  I found myself walking every path, venturing around every corner, and pausing at each new flower.  I could not possibly get enough of the beauty, variety, and peacefulness.  At moments, I realized I was still in Singapore, yet it was so drastically different than every other encounter we had.  In the gardens, there were no malls, no shiny buildings, or flashy signs.  People still surrounded me, but they were fitness enthusiasts, out for a run or walk, or simply sitting on a bench, taking in their surroundings.  In a couple locations, I came across small groups performing tai chi, or some other form of meditation.

I left with memorable photos, a small orchid souvenir purchase (no orchids were harmed), and an incredible thirst and hunger.  The last led me to purchase a Himalayan Tea frappe from McDonalds, so fantastically delicious!

Now for the pictures.  I took many, but have selected a few favorites.  Again, for any photography enthusiasts, be kind.  I am not skilled with my little Olympus, but I tried my best to capture all the wonderful surroundings.

Welcome to the Singapore Botanical Gardens.

Waterfall in the Ginger Plant Area.  

View from behind the waterfall.  The cave was open, and allowed you to walk inside, behind the waterfall. 

Ginger Plant
After exploring areas in the Botanical Garden, I purchased a ticket to enter the Orchid Gardens. 

I never realized the amount of varieties.  




The gardens, both Botanical and Orchid included a large number of fountains and waterfalls.  I photographed almost every one, but only posted my top two favorites. 

After leaving the Orchid Garden, while finding my way out of the gardens, I stumbled upon this massive tree.  So incredibly tall, I wish a person was in the picture, to compare height.

My last full day in Singapore was wonderful.  An experience that not only provided me some relaxation time, but also gave me insight to a drastically different aspect.  Singapore is an incredible city in regards to its urban, modern aspects, but it also holds an incredibly beautiful garden.

Since that evening would be our last night in Singapore, it was only appropriate that we schedule a special date night to celebrate our time in a new country, together, with more memories.  Next up, date night dinner on the waterfront and another drink at the top.  This time we chose 1 Altitude, a very hip, top of the skyscraper bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment