Saturday, March 10, 2012

One year down, ?? to go....

I know I have been MIA for a few weeks.  After my 2 months in the States, my return to Russia was short, prior to our departure for Singapore.  Ryan had training in Singapore, and never one to miss out on a trip (and warm destination), I accompanied him.  Many blog posts are coming.  I promise to share all the details from our time in Singapore, and our weekend getaway in Indonesia.  It seems this year is already becoming another travel dream.

This past Wednesday, marked a huge milestone for our Russian adventure.  Wednesday, March 7th was our one year mark.  I went back to March 7, 2011 and copied this portion from my blog post:


So, today is the day.  I must admit, unsurprisingly, I did not sleep much last night.  There are a plethora of emotions running through me; disbelief, excitement, fear, anticipation, relief.  I have never done a move like this before, but I would assume all are normal.

I am nervous about Macy.  I know many dogs, everyday, spend long amounts of times in kennels, but fortunately, I am able to not have to put Macy in a kennel for an extended period, except at night.  Today, she will spend her longest time kenneled and on a plane.  Our airline is known for excellent pet care, but I hope she is comfortable. 


Well, I think that is the end of my post.  Today, March 7, 2011, Ryan and Virginia move to Russia.  Wish us luck!


Looking back at this blog post, I can still remember where I was typing.  I remember the emotions going through me, and my shaky hands as all our luggage and Macy were loaded into the black Suburban.  Checking in at the airport and boarding the first plane almost seemed like a dream, and I wasn't sure what to expect when I landed in Russia. 


At the time, I had no idea how extremely well Macy would do during the flights, and how well she would do during her return trip in December. She is an amazing traveller, and we are so fortunate. 


Ironically,  it seems the year flew by.  The saying goes, "time flies when you're having fun" but I believe it would be more appropriate, for our situation, to say:


Time flies when:


*you are learning to live in Russia
*Ryan is discovering the difference of working in Russia
*learning to act out everything you are trying to say (after this assignment, I will make a killer charades player)
*learning to speak Russian (my brain and Russian..... like oil and water)
*completing daily errands (western grocery stores, I miss you dearly)
*TRAVELING


The opportunity to travel has been an absolute dream of mine, and I honestly never thought I would be able to travel as extensively as I did last year.  I truly believe the traveling aspect not only made the year amazing, but it truly did help the time fly by.  Knowing that I had an upcoming trip in 4...6...12...weeks gave me something to look forward to.  I have said to Ryan on numerous occasions, 


"the opportunity to live in a foreign country, and travel outweighs any hurdle we come across, or bad day we may have."  


Since March 7, 2011 I know I have grown and matured by leaps and bounds.  In the area of self confidence is where I have seen the most growth.  It does not matter what obstacle is placed in front of me, I now realize I am capable of handling anything.  Without a move to Russia and life in a foreign country, I know I would not be the person I am today.  


It's crazy what life throws at you, but WOW, I am loving it!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment