Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Brownie Blunder

Recently, I have been posting about successful, delicious new recipes.  I think it is only fair that I also post about some more "unsuccessful" recipes.  This recipe was not unsuccessful in design, execution, or presentation.  It was strictly unsuccessful in the Ryan Taste Test.  I have found a recipe that Ryan did not like.

As my parent's read this introduction, I am sure they may have giggled and laughed.  They were present at this recipe's discovery.  I found the recipe in one of my mother's many cooking magazines.  Ok, ok, I am sure everyone is yelling, "What recipe?!?!"

The recipe is for Gluten Free Brownies.  The recipe contains chickpeas rather than flour.  I know, I know, it's another one of my attempts to find tasty, healthy recipes and I failed (this time).  Personally, I believe I set myself up for failure.  I was so excited the brownies turned out, they looked good and smelled good.  I didn't give Ryan the chance to taste them, before I started jumping around saying, "they are made out of chickpeas, not flour!"  Ryan, giving me a slightly crazy look, took a bite and his response, "well, these are interesting."  That response translates to, "these are not good."

Personally, I didn't think they were bad.  They had a more fudge like consistency more than Ryan's preferred cake-like.  The recipe does call for instant coffee and you could definitely taste the coffee.  Regardless, the score remains, chickpea brownies:1 Virginia: 0.  No rematch will take place, I don't think Ryan will forget the brownies enough to allow for a second (nonjudgemental) appearance.

Let me know if you wish to have the recipe to try your own luck.  Just promise me, don't tell the taster before the actual tasting.  Oh, and Dad, be forewarned, I will be back in the States for the holidays.  You may want to question any "brownies" that may appear.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment