Friday, October 7, 2011

Long Weekend in Bangkok

Ryan has been in Bangkok for 2 weeks.  As I type this post he is packing for his return to Russia.  We decided that since he was going to be gone for so long and there was a weekend between his weeks of training, I would join him for a long weekend.

It was well worth the long flight and layovers.  Bangkok was definitely a large, bustling city.  We enjoyed not only exploring the city, but also getting to take part in tours that took us to surrounding areas, outside the city.  We were booked with private tours, which gave our guide ample time to share an immense amount of knowledge.  I, surprisingly remembered a good amount of information and tried to pass it along through my photo comments.  You will also notice that this photo album contains a plethora of Ryan and Virginia photos.  Do not be alarmed, we have not become self absorbed.  We did not know this in the beginning, but our tour guide was an overeager photographer.  "I make picture for you?" was the phrase repeated numerous times, approximately every 5 feet or 5 minutes, whichever came first.

The trip was fun filled, educational and interesting to say the least.  For those of you familiar with different areas of the city, we did venture out to Soi Cowboy and we could see Nana Plaza from the hotel.  Was the JW Marriott there first, or did Nana Plaza form near the hotel with the wealthy business men?

Ryan planned an amazing dinner for my last full night in Bangkok.  We had reservations at Sirocco.  It is situated on the roof of a skyscraper in Bangkok, I believe the 64th floor.  The food was delicious and we had Hangovertinis.  They were martinis created for the cast of Hangover 2 while filming in Bangkok.  Sadly, I forgot to grab my camera, so there are no photos in the album, but feel free to Google Sirocco.

I hope you enjoy the photos.  Luckily, you don't have to experience the sweltering heat and humidity that was present.  One major downfall of Bangkok, high heat and humidity with a vast assortment of street vendors, particularly fish vendors.  I had a few gag moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment