Tuesday, October 18, 2011

What do you do all day?

Frequently, and even more so, recently I was asked "What do you do all day?"  It is not necessary to ask Ryan this question because he can simply answer the question with one word, "work."  He works extremely hard and puts forth an incredible effort to do the best possible job he can.  I do not mean to sound like he is the only one, everyone on the project is working extremely hard and are clocking long hours at the office, if they are in Novorossiysk.  Many days are also spent traveling outside Novorossiysk for business.  Ryan's extensive work schedule leaves me with plenty of hours to fill.  In the beginning of this blog, I was doing a monthly Day in the Life of....but that quickly became dull for me, I can't imagine what readers must have thought.  So, in order to answer the question, "What do you do all day?" I will give a synopsis of yesterday and today's highlights.

Sweating at Sta-Fit


Sta-Fit is the gym.  I go daily and some days, twice.  At times, I wonder if the employees think I do nothing else.  The gym is my little piece of home, it is modern, has everything I could want, and gives me a great reason to work off some extra energy and extra calories.

Battling the Weather
Recently, the weather has become my enemy.  We are not getting along.  It has kept me cooped in the apartment, has restricted Macy walks, and makes an all around irritable Virginia.  Yesterday, I took pictures to share.

Clouds rolling over the mountains.  I think they are mountains, but coming from the flatlands of the Midwest, I think everything is a mountain. 

View from other balcony. 

Rolling farther. 

Oh, look who it is. :)
Macy
The last picture leads to my next activity.  Professional dog sitter, Macy entertainer, servant to the canine.  Whatever you choose to title it, Macy and I spend a lot (too much) time together.  We take lots of walks (when the weather cooperates), play lots of fetch (in apartment and outside).  She enjoys following me around the apartment all day, as long as it does not interfere with her naps.  We also take frequent bathroom trips outside, which was the signal I was receiving in the photo.  Above her head, if I could add a thought bubble, it would say, "Um, excuse me, stop taking pictures, I have to go outside!"  If I wasn't able to read her mind, her melody of toots was a clear signal she needed to go outside.  

Learning Russian
It's a slow process, but I am seeing growth.  Lena, my instructor is amazing.  Not too much to say about this.  I have lessons every Tuesday and Friday.

Hunting and Gathering
The title makes it sound more fun, but basically, I go to the grocery store, a lot.  I enjoy cooking and it takes frequent visits to multiple stores to gather all the ingredients I need.  Others may complain about the amount of time it takes to grocery shop, but I have come to view it as a sport.  "What will I find today?" "Will I beat my shopping list and find all necessary items?" "What obstacles will I encounter?"

I took a quick photo before leaving yesterday.  Bring on the rain, I was ready!


Last week, during a shopping trip, I encountered a cashier that was a breath of fresh air.  She spoke English, was bubbly, sweet and very excited to meet an American.  Yesterday, I was at the store and when it came time to check out, I looked and saw she was working.  She was so excited to see I was back and I was just as excited to see her.  It's funny how such a simple, small encounter can make an experience so much better and put such a big smile on a person's face.

English Teacher
A new development and addition to my schedule.  I am working with the daughter of a Russian colleague at Ryan's office.  She is 10 and knows a fair amount of English.  I forgot what it felt like to plan and prepare for a lesson.  I have only met with her twice, but it is great.  She is enjoying the lessons and I am loving it!  I meet with her every Tuesday for an hour.  Yes, I know it is only once a week and only one student for an hour, but it is what I needed to fulfill my inner teacher.  I spend so many hours researching the next lesson, planning and preparing that it is a much appreciated task.  Who knows, maybe I will starting tutoring more children.  Word seems to be spreading.

Domestic Diva
I cook, clean, do laundry and am an all around Domestic Diva.  Pandora radio provides the soundtrack to my "divaness."

That's all folks!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome ! I miss Novo, my Juli and you and the others and our life there. -Monica

    ReplyDelete