Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Part Time Reader

I forgot to mention this yesterday, but I am also a part time reader.  I wish I could say full time, I absolutely love to read, to get lost in a story, or to find that next great book.  I have recently devoured a few books.  Usually when Ryan is away on business, I find my lack of cooking and grocery shopping leaves me with a substantial amount of reading time.  Also, in conjunction with his long, recent business trip, the weather (I know I have mentioned it a lot) was also very conducive for reading time.

A couple books, I have found, to be worthy of mentioning.

One Day by David Nicholls
I was originally drawn to this book because of an Amazon recommendation.  I was also intrigued to learn that it was either in production or actually out in theaters.  I am one to read a book before I see a movie, so I figured, since I don't go to the movies in Russia, I should read the book now in preparation for my holiday return to the States.  The book turned out to be really good.  I read it during my long flights and layovers to and from Bangkok.  Not to spoil anything, but there is a "GASP" moment.  I say this literally, I had my gasp moment on my flight from Vienna to Krasnodar.  Nearby passengers turned to look and many also were witness to my gasp following, rapid blinking in attempt to hold back tears.  I am not one to post quotes, but a quote towards the end of the book really caught my attention, I found myself reading it over again.


“What are you going to do with your life?" In one way or another it seemed that people had been asking her this forever; teachers, her parents, friends at three in the morning, but the question had never seemed this pressing and still she was no nearer an answer... "Live each day as if it's your last', that was the conventional advice, but really, who had the energy for that? What if it rained or you felt a bit glandy? It just wasn't practical. Better by far to be good and courageous and bold and to make difference. Not change the world exactly, but the bit around you. Cherish your friends, stay true to your principles, live passionately and fully and well. Experience new things. Love and be loved, if you ever get the chance.” 

The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve
I would have finished this book in a day if I had passed on the gym and Russian lesson.  I kept with my daily schedule, but voraciously read during every possible free moment.  It is by no means a happy, go lucky book.  The books starts with a sudden, life changing discovery and follows a wife as she pieces things together.  Regardless of the seriousness, I could not get enough.  I followed this book with a very happy, go lucky, chick read.  All was good. :)

Current Read:

Cold Tangerines: Celebrating the Extraordinary Nature of Everyday Life  By Shauna Niequist

Again, an Amazon recommendation, but Amazon has me figured out pretty well.  Well, that is, when they are not recommended the latest blood and gut movie.  Ryan always uses my Amazon account to order movies, so his purchases interfere with my recommendations.  Luckily, he doesn't order books, so my book recommendations seem to be spot on.  Cold Tangerines is a great compilation of short stories.  Each chapter is a different topic and it is a memoir.  The author has chosen a great set up for her book and I find that when I need to put it down, I keep saying, "Oh, just one more chapter."  This book may also be the reason for my frequent posting.  It has really caused me to look at the most mundane things as spectacular, or worthy of celebration.  Sounds crazy right?  I have never been a philosophical person, but this book is perfect for my current "life setting."  A nice summary quote from the book:

“Today is your big moment. Moments, really. The life you've been waiting for is happening all around you. The scene unfolding right outside your window is worth more than the most beautiful painting, and the crackers and peanut butter that you're having for lunch on the coffee table are as profound, in their own way, as the Last Supper. This is it. This is life in all its glory, swirling and unfolding around us, disguised as pedantic, pedestrian non-events. But pull off the mask and you will find your life, waiting to be made, chosen, woven, crafted."

Maybe this post will provide a reading recommendation, maybe not, I just thought I would share some recent reads.  Have you read a good book recently?  Amazon is phenomenal with recommendations, but I am always interested what others are reading.  Feel free to pass any recommendations this way! 

No comments:

Post a Comment