Friday, October 14, 2011

Illness=Homesickness

Warning: She does not make an appearance often on the blog, but Negative Nancy is present.

Why is it that whenever I am sick, I ultimately become homesick?  I, yet again, am battling a cold.  I can't remember the last time I have been ill so frequently.  Before our trip to Greece I came down with a cold which seemed to last for weeks.  Recently, Ryan and I fell victim to either the 24 hour flu or food poisoning.  Let me tell you, husband and wife suffering from flu symptoms (I'll save you the details) at the exact same time is a true test of any marriage. :)  And, again I am suffering from a cold.  I have decided that my increase in illness may be the result of the following factors:

1. An increase in flying.  I have always heard that planes are breeding grounds for germs.  I have spent a large amount of time on planes the past few months.

2. Russia.  The weather has turned dreary.  I have not seen the sun (adequately) for the past few days and it has rained or drizzled 75% of each day.  Lack of sun may also be causing Nancy's appearance.  Also, Russia has a large number of walking chimneys.  It never fails, I cannot go out in public without being overwhelmed with cigarette smoke.  The chimneys and my sensitivity to cigarette smoke may be causing the increase of my chest/breathing problems.

3. Old age. I am 25.  Hahahaha, just kidding.  Nancy does have a sense of humor. :)

But in all seriousness, I do not like (no me gusta, Я не люблю) being sick and it is at times like these that all I want is to be home at my parent's house.  I am quite the drama queen when I am sick (my mother is definitely nodding her head in agreement to that statement) and my parents are excellent, patient caregivers.  I could really use some of my mother's chicken and noodles and some couch time in front of the fireplace.  I wouldn't even mind my father's loving, thoughtful, and sometimes overwhelming questions "Are you ok?" "Do you need anything?"

I am also missing the States and the little things about Fall that make it a bit more bearable.

*Campbell's chicken noodle soup, not the cheap red and white can, but their homestyle kind.  It doesn't compare to my mother's, but it is a nice, simple alternative.

*Glade, Febreeze, Yankee, etc.  Fall Scented Candles  I brought a Yankee Autumn Harvest and Yankee Pumpkin Spice in our sea shipment, but I am trying to resist the urge to burn the candles 24/7.

*A fireplace.

*Houston weather.  If Ryan and I were still living in Houston, I would most likely be out by the pool today.

Make sure you are sitting for this next one,
*Football.  I HATE football, but right now I wouldn't mind having a football game on the television.  I know it would definitely help Ryan, but I would be more excited about making chili and cookies and having friends over to watch the game.  I miss going to our friend's house for football games.  I miss more the time spent with friends than the actual game itself.

Even poor Macy is feeling blah.  Rainy weather means no walks and the mean clouds are blocking all the sun for her daily tanning sessions.

Lastly, because I can't let Nancy finish a posting, I will end with something I am looking forward to.  Ryan and I will spend our 2nd R&R of the year in Egypt.  We leave the first week of November and I am looking forward to abundant sunshine, warmth, touring, experiences, memories, etc.  




No comments:

Post a Comment