Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius

I retuned to Novorossiysk today, Ryan remained in Moscow.  I am suffering from a cold, it started during our last day in Venice.  No worries, and no negative feelings towards Italy for the cold.  I thought, after the early flight this morning, I would return to our apartment, dig through our American pharmacy stash, medicate myself and get some sleep.  I should have known better, unless I am near death (see Russian plague post) I cannot sit still.  I was off to the gym (trying to work off some of that delicious pizza that attached to my hips), the "optical pharmacy" to buy more contact solution since mine was confiscated during airport security (120 ml when 100 ml is the max), and the grocery store.  Third load of laundry is currently in the washer, and I have finished the Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius photo album.

Now, about that coming home to rest.........

Rest can come later, I have to tell you about our next Italian adventure.  Our second day in Naples was not spent in Naples, but on a trip to Pompeii.  What an incredible area!  I am so thankful we chose to travel to Pompeii.  I decided to book a group tour, rather than private and it turned out nicely.  We only had 3 other people on tour with us, a couple from Texas and a young lady from Chicago, what a coincidence, love Chicago and Texas.  We all got along very well, and it was fun to chat with new people.  I was a super nerd during the tour, took many pictures, and purchased a "Art and History of Pompeii" book.  Luckily for you, I was able to provide captions for the pictures.

A small sneak peak...





After Pompeii, the other three people left, they didn't sign up for the Vesuvius climb.  Ryan and I, along with our guide were off to lunch.  A carbohydrate meal of pizza and pasta to prep for the climb, and a shot of espresso to fuel our energy.  We were now ready to climb.  Again, what a wonderful experience.  Vesuvius has been sitting, restlessly since the last eruption in 1944.  The crater was quiet during our visit, only visible sign of activity was an area that gave off puffs of smoke.  The view of Naples and Bay of Naples was excellent.




Take a tour of Pompeii and climb Vesuvius with us!  
Click on "Enjoy the photos!"

Another great day in Italy!!!  After our day trip we were back to Naples to enjoy time exploring the city, and a delicious dinner.

This little blogger is off to our pharmacy stash in the closet to locate our supply of Nyquil.  A little medication and an early bedtime is just what I need.


No comments:

Post a Comment