Wednesday, October 24, 2012

When in Rome....

More appropriately, when in Italy, wine is numerare uno.  

Regardless of the restaurant, fancy or family.  Regardless of the location, city or costal town.  Wine was present, not only present, but a delicious accompaniment to our meals.  We were pleasantly surprised, and appreciative the ease of ordering.  Everyplace had their house wine, and every house wine was good (some stood out more than others, but all were good).  The simple wine choice allowed us more time to contemplate, occasionally drool on the menu of our culinary choices.  

During the planning of this trip, I wanted to make sure I worked in a wine tasting event.  I researched various day trips, emailed a few tour guides, but during my search I came across this: Anthony Bourdain at Roscioli.  After watching the YouTube video, I was sold.  I emailed the restaurant and began corresponding with Alessandro, the man that would lead Ryan and I through a wonderful journey of wine, cheese, meat, and pasta.  




Alessandro's "laboratory"
I would not be a very productive worker with all this wine sitting around, but I would write some amazing blog posts. :)
Envision yourself in this room with classical music softly playing. Alessandro had stepped into the back room for a moment, collecting a few items to begin our tasting.  We were beyond excited.  But, this was also a learning experience, before the tasting began, Alessandro sat with us, explained how to properly taste a wine, characteristics to potentially look for, etc.  Most importantly, and what I appreciated most, he said there was no right or wrong description when describing a wine.  A wine will affect each drinker separately.  THANK GOODNESS, because I was/am pretty guaranteed to give a response of either, "I like it" or "I don't like it" and he said that was fine!  Alessandro and I were going to be friends.....

Never mind thinking Alessandro and I would be friends.  You would have thought the heavens opened and angels were singing based on the look Ryan was giving Alessandro.
An offering of yummy cheese, Ryan was in paradise.  

Words are not enough to describe the yumminess that sat before us.  Burrata (front left), only good for 24 hours after production was the creamiest, tastiest bite of happiness, and fresh, mouthwatering  Mozzarella di Bufala (back right). 

Let the drinking and eating begin.....


Revealing the four "mystery" wines we had tasted in one grouping.  The famous Brunello was placed in the grouping, but surprisingly, my favorite was the Querciabella

 Not wanting to forget my favorites, I was sipping, eating, talking, and taking pictures like a well-oiled (liquored?) machine....

Pancetta, Salame, Culatello

A decent sized sampling, but if you responded with, "Oh, that's really good!"  Alessandro, would break into a large grin and pour you more, and more.
A slow, destructive act considering I was always sipping, and exclaiming, "Oh, that's really good!"

Our favorite, notice the bottle is empty.  No, we did not drink the entire bottle, but with all our exclaiming, our glasses were refreshed until there was no more.
This was the one wine that I sniffed and immediately guessed what I was smelling. We bought a bottle, and it is now sitting in our dining room.  A special occasion will bring it out to be consumed.  


Hello, friends, glad you could join the party. 

Ryan is exceptional at describing what he is tasting.   

Our last grouping consisted of four all-stars.  They were good, but unfortunately, my tastebuds were on overload, and my mind was not able to give an accurate description, simply a "Oh, that's good."  To Alessandro's surprise and joy, we were not overly impressed with the year's top wine award (don't get me wrong, it was good).  He felt the wine needed a bit more time to age.  I can't remember which wine was this year's award winner. 

To finish our tasting, three and a half hours later.  Alessandro asked if we would like some pasta.  Knowing I had to walk home, I gladly accepted maccheroni all gricia.  Famous in Italy, pig jowl. 


Twelve guests all in a row.  I never got a picture of all fourteen guests, a new record at Roscioli's.  Alessandro said six to eight is the normal amount of tastings, but apparently he was having too much fun with us (and we were more than willing to continuing tasting). 

With wine sloshing in our bellies, our wine purchase bubble-wrapped and packaged in hand, and a smile on our faces, we were blissfully wandering the streets during our last night in Rome....
Good-bye for now.
The next time we are in Rome, we will meet again Roscioli.

After a very educational, private wine tasting of Italy's finest wines and foods, what would make the perfect ending to our evening?

If you responded with, "eating a donut on the steps at the Trevi Fountain", you guessed correctly!


It truly was the perfect ending to our stay in Rome.  I am thankful my research led me to the YouTube video, and Alessandro turned out to be a wonderful host, teacher, and friend.  I have no created a "monster" Ryan is obsessed with researching all wines.  Well, monster is definitely the wrong term, because with all his researching and purchasing, I am generously rewarded with excellent glasses of wine.
Cin, Cin!

The following morning, we had a 9:00 a.m. scheduled entrance to the Borghese Gallery.  The gallery was highly recommended by a few expat friends, and what an incredible sight.  Not always one for art and museums, I was a bit unsure of my expectations.  No photos were allowed, and I will not even begin to butcher (with my words) the beautiful artwork and sculptures contained in the gallery.  Click on the following link: Borghese Gallery  The website does not begin to do justice to viewing the pieces in person.  

To end this novel of a post.  When in Rome, enjoy the wine, and definitely put Roscioli's and Borghese Gallery on your list of must see.  Of course, along with the other half-dozen posts I did about Rome.  I can't believe we did so much in only a few days...... 

Love, Rome, Roma, Amor....

1 comment:

  1. While Alassandro was nice, I think I had just looked at the cheese...it was pretty fantastic. - Ryan

    ReplyDelete